Can you run a 16 ohm Hotplate into an 8 ohm cab?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
if my amp is set to 16 ohms and it runs into a 16 ohm Hotplate attenuator, will it hurt if I run it into an 8 ohm cab sometimes?

guitarnorm

Silver Supporting Member
From the manual:
Q. Can I still use the Hot Plate if it has a different impedance than my amp?
A. ONLY if the impedance of the Hot Plate is EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN that of the amp. However, this will lessen the effectiveness of the Hot Plate’s tone controls.
Q. If I am using just one speaker cabinet, can I still use the Hot Plate if it has a different impedance than my speaker cabinet?
A. ONLY if the impedance of the speakers is equal to or greater than the amplifi er, AND the impedance of the Hot Plate is equal to or greater than the amp. Again, this will lessen the effectiveness of the Hot Plate’s tone controls.

Here's a link to a PDF file of the manual: http://www.thdelectronics.com/pdf stuff/HP Manual 060405.pdf

If you want an 8 ohm hotplate, let me know. I have one I used to use with my Deluxe Reverb amp, but don'e really need it for those. I just picked up a 4 Ohm Hotplate for my Pro-Reverb amp.

handtrix

if my amp is set to 16 ohms and it runs into a 16 ohm Hotplate attenuator, will it hurt if I run it into an 8 ohm cab sometimes?
16 isn't going into 8 when he runs amp at 8 and Hot Plate is a 16 ohm into an 8 ohm cab.

It also depends on an amp old Fenders do fine with the impedance mismatched other amps don't like. Super Reverb with extension cab...1 ohm.... That'sold Joe Walsh for you.
Not following here. OP's amp is set to 16 ohms as well as the Hot Plate into his cabinet... If you had a 8Ω load going into 16Ω's you are fine. The other way, you are taking 10 pounds of **** into a 5 pound bag. Very smelly.

Last edited:

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Not following here. OP's amp is set to 16 ohms as well as the Hot Plate into his cabinet... If you had a 8Ω load going into 16Ω's you are fine. The other way, you are taking 10 pounds of **** into a 5 pound bag. Very smelly.
No.. According to Ed D. (Who used to work for Andy at THD and probably built many Hotplates) you run your head at 8 ohms, through the 16 ohm Hotplate, into your 8 ohm cab

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Hence me telling him that the mismatch with it at 8 ohm.
As for the analogy of the 10 lbs. Bag... My Fender example is the exception to that rule.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
No.. According to Ed D. (Who used to work for Andy at THD and probably built many Hotplates) you run your head at 8 ohms, through the 16 ohm Hotplate, into your 8 ohm cab
I soldered my share of them although that really wasn't my gig there :).
But yes I'm fairly certain that after Andy I'm.pretty much the authority on things THD.

handtrix

huh?

. That complicates things a bit... umm and that wasn't what you posted ? :brick
if my amp is set to 16 ohms..........."
Hence me telling him that the mismatch with it at 8 ohm.
As for the analogy of the 10 lbs. Bag... My Fender example is the exception to that rule.
:aok

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
The problem is solved... Thank you all

Trending Topics