Can you set how quiet a volume pedal goes?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by feet, Jul 10, 2019.

1. feet

feet Supporting Member

i don't know anything about them, but I assume that most volume pedals kill all the volume in the toe up position. Is that correct?

So what I'm after would be a pedal that only goes back to unity gain when the toe is up. Is that a thing? Thought that would be a cool way to terrorize my low watt amps. Like an expression pedal for gain, basically.

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

Most volume pedals kill the volume in the heel down position.

Not sure what you’re trying to do. A volume pedal in front of a high gain amp will control the gain to some extent, but it will also vary the volume.

3. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

Yes, some volume pedals allow you to set the minimum (toe up / heel down) level. Based on a quick Google, the Ernie Ball MVP and Morley PVO+ both offer that feature.

4. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

The Max volume that a vol pedal goes to is Unity. I'm not sure if there if there exist ones that go higher, I don't think so.. supposed to be a volume knob on the floor.
    In the toe up/heel down position, the vol pedal can go to 0 or any higher volume.. some pedals have a knob to adjust minimum volume it drops to.
    Besides the ones suggested earlier, Boss FV50 L also has such a knob on the side.
    It can definitely be used to control the gain & you can have a max gain set with your full volume & then use the pedal to get cleaner.
    I don't know what Unity gain is.
    With vol pedals, do read on Impedance, Buffering, treble bleed & tone suck before getting something.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  5. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

Sonuus Voluum will give you whatever volume you want at each extreme (including boosting up to high line levels) and allow you to select the shape of the sweep in between. You can also incorporate variable compression into the travel, so for example, heel down, some compression to even out your cleans, sweeping through to no compression when boosted for maximum pick dynamics when the amp's dirty.

Digitally controlled analogue. Also does tap tempo dual tremolo , tuner, midi expression etc, set up presets so you can easily get to whatever functionality you want at any time.

Hofnarr likes this.
  6. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Some volume pedals have a minimum volume setting as mentioned. However, some designs have active circuitry and can give an output that is above unity gain when full on. (Unity = 1x)

A passive volume pedal is going to have close to unity as its maximum volume.

regards, Jack

Thumpalumpacus and 8len8 like this.
  7. FracStrat

FracStrat Supporting Member

Morley Little Alligator

six_stringer likes this.
  8. feet

feet Supporting Member

oh, gee, i guess i have some homework to do. in my ignorance, i'm leaning toward optical ones. less to go wrong and all that. but i'm grateful for the help.

i may have misspoken about unity gain. what i want is to have it do nothing with the heel down, giving me the exact same volume i was playing at, and then raise it from there. the idea being, since i have a load box and 5 and 15 watt amps without master volumes, i can set it at around breakup, and then use a volume pedal to send it into distortion and bring it back as need be, hitting all points in between. is that possible with one of these things, or am i misreading the situation? or are they meant to take your volume from where you're set back down to zero?

oh, ok. so do the exact opposite of what i was planning, then. set it crazy loud and bring it back to where i want to be with the volume pedal. i think i got it now. since i rarely use my volume knob to clean up, i never really think in those terms. only overdrive. :)

9. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Then you want an active volume pedal that has some signal boost, and a minimum output adjustment. The only one that I have used that does this is the Mission VM-Pro, but there are probably others too.

regards, Jack

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  10. p.j.

p.j. Member

My old Morley has a pot to do just that.

11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

No, a volume pedal is not a boost pedal. It doesn't add, it only cuts.

I've had a couple that you could set baseline heel-down volume, but wide-open is still only unity gain. You'll need boost circuitry to get that happening.

12. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

@feet have you considered using a moog boost with exp pedal?

13. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Vol pedals, as some have pointed out don't have a lot of boost by themselves even if they happen to have some.
    You may have to use a vol + boost (2 pedals).
    You boost the volume before/after vol pedal & then use the volume pedal in whatever range you prefer (breakup ---- Distortion).

14. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

The Ernie Ball MVP has both a minimum volume setting and a +20dB boost available. Plus, it won’t break the bank

[​IMG]

amz-fx likes this.
  15. mambosun92

mambosun92 Member

The Boss FV500H placed at the begining of the effect chain will act as your volume button on the guitar. Therefore you can adjst the level of gain you want, plus you can set a minimum volume level with the side knob.
    Used you can find one around 50 €.