Can you spray Nitro over Poly?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mike M, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

Is this possible or do you have to go with the same finish?

Thanks

2. dangdog

dangdog Guest

I was advised by the guys at Reranch:
    Sand off the gloss coat and spray away. The poly makes a great primer. Worked like a charm for me.

3. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

I have done it many times. If the guitar is old or has been polished with silicones in it's past give it a wipe with mineral spirits followed by naptha. Use a clean cloth for each you want to throw away the silicone not spread it. Now give the entire surface to be painted a good sanding with scotchbrite cloth to take the shine away and give the lacquer a tooth. That is all you have to do, I find it is not necessary to try and take off the clear coat and you do not have to deal with sand thru. Blow the dust off. One more naptha wipe and you are ready for the tack rag.
    Go for it!
    Rob

4. singring

singring Guest

OK....my first post on this excellent site after doing some quick browsing.....

Why would you want to put lacquer over a poly finish? Are you going to use a lacquer that has a tinted colour? I've never heard of this before....is it possible to change a guitar's colour this easily?

5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Chemically it can be done, but I would advise a adhesion promoter prior to the lacquer, and after a thorough sanding and cleaning.

Lacquer has very poor adhesion on poly, and if chipped, could peel off like a piece of paper.

6. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

A budy of mine sprayed black lacquer over a MIM Strat that had an original red poly finish.
    Everytime he nicked the guitar (he didn't really didn't baby it... can't blame him) the black lacquer would come right off.

I got the feeling if I dug my fingernail hard enough into the finish, it would come off. If you have a decent body, and want to do a nice job, strip the poly off to bare wood. I think you will be much happier with the end result.

7. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

LesPaulMan,

That's what I was saying about lacquer over poly. Not great adhesion. And yes, you probably could dig you fingernail in there and peel away.

Larry