Can you spray WD-40 in a Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shawn3786, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

I've noticed lately that my Wah pedal isn't moving as quickly and avidly as it used to, and this makes me believe that there is not enough lubrication inside of it. Can you put WD-40 in the spot where the sweep is? I'm not sure if this will do any damage so I've held off and I'd really like to know what you other Wah users have done with this problem in the past. Thanks.

Shawn

2. mikespe

mikespe Member

From what I remember about WD40 is that it is NOT a permanent lube and will dry out. Plus if it gets on the electronics it can become a conductor. Try a bit of 3-In-1 Oil. It's easier to control and it won't dry out.

3. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

It's not clear from your post exactly where you were thinking of spraying the WD-40. But please be aware that WD-40 is intended ONLY for mechanical moving parts, NOT electro-mechanical parts. This means, DO NOT spray WD-40 inside potentiometers!! The only stuff you should spray into pots is pot cleaner/lubricant, which is designed specifically for that job. (Radio Shack used to carry this, not sure if it still does.) As for the rack-and-pinion gear mechanism (the interface between the rocker treadle and the pot), the only stuff that should be used there is white lithium grease. I guess this means the only place you might use WD-40 in your wah is where the treadle makes contact with the main housing (axle joints).

Hope this helps.

4. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

Thanks for all of your advice Jim & Mike, I now know what to do! Enjoy the day!

5. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

You want to go ahead and use a lithium grease or equivalent from an auto parts store.