Can you start ProTools recording via foot switch?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Grun, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Grun

Grun Member

My partner and I both play guitar. Often as we 'jam' a song idea will develop. I would like to be able to just hit a foot switch and start ProTools recording. I can get the transport to start 'playing' via the foot switch port on the back of the 002R, but can't seem to get it into 'record' even if I arm the tracks ahead of time.

My old Fostex 250 4 track cassette deck did this no problem!

Thanks for your replies!

2. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

I think that the DIGI 002 can do that (you can't with an MBox)

3. beePee

beePee Member

"Can you start ProTools recording via foot switch?"

Only with a Digidesign V4.5.2 record footswitch.It comes with free a software upgrade that allows you to monitor more than 8 tracks at a time!!.it's a bargain at $249!!!

BP

4. Grun

Grun Member

Is that the truth? Are you serious?

5. elambo

elambo Member

no he's not serious

6. justicetones

justicetones Member

Sure you can. As long as you have a midi interface (Digi 002 has one and I think the mbox does too but I am not 100% positive). What you do is set wait for midi note on the transport / counter window. Then all you need is a keyboard or something midi that you can trigger with your foot, hand, nose, etc. As soon as you hit a note (any note)it will send a midi signal to protools and it will start recording.

I set up a buddy of mine (Drummer) this way in home studio for commercial work so he could work on tight deadlines without having to have an engineer (me) there.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

There's a "foot switch" input on the back of the 002. As I recall, you plug in a MIDI sustain pedal and pressing it punches you in.

8. Grun

Grun Member

Justicetones, Thanks, I suspected (was afraid) I would have go the MIDI route. I will give your suggetion a go. Between the keboard and the electronic drum kit, maybe I can work something out. I just need to be able to do it with my foot.

Michael, I know about the foot switch port. See my orginal post.

Thanks all.

9. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

You can just record all the time, and delete what you don't want. You won't miss anything. Not sure I'm really understanding why you want the record function footswitchable.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Right, but did you look up how to use it to punch in? It's a lot easier than the way you're headed.

11. justicetones

justicetones Member

I would agree with MichaelK. I forgot about the footswitch jack on the 002. I never use that function at home and all of the setups I have done with this scenario have been on HD systems.

Good call MichaelK.

12. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Don't forget the preroll function and a well placed location (dead silence or an on the beat transient work well for me) if you're just wanting to punch in.

13. Grun

Grun Member

I have tried that but for a variety of reasons, (some psychological I admit) it doesn't seem to work. Also sorting through the junk after the fact is harder.

Thanks.

14. Grun

Grun Member

The MIDI 'wait for note' worked (used the 'hi-hat) from the E-drums. I also checked the footswitch option again and 're-discovered' that although you have to run the 'clock/timeline' continuously you can punch in and out of 'record'. For some reason it takes 2 clicks on the footswitch which is kind of a pita, but I will try to work with it for now. Thanks.

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

What kind of MIDI controller is it? I used an on/off and a sustain pedal and I don't recall needing to click either one twice.

I only tried it a few times, didn't like it much, so I could be wrong. It was years ago. Now I use pre-roll.