Can you tap in dotted 8th notes?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jonderdonk, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Jonderdonk

Jonderdonk Member

I'm thinking about getting the Wampler Faux Tape Echo, but I need to be able to have a dotted 8th delay. I'm unfamiliar with tap tempos, so is it possible to get dotted 8ths using the tap tempo? Thanks!

2. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

yes, but it isnt easy, if you are in a live situation, harder yet, if you are also singing, multiply it by 3. Depends on your necessities, but if .8ths is utterly important to you, then I would look into other possibilities, there are smart tap tempo devices out there that can do this for you, but then you have to mod the wampler for external tap tempo in, plus around another $150 to $200 for a smart tap tempo device. Otherwise consider a delay that already has the .8ths feature, if your hooked on the "tape delay" sound I'd suggest a strymon El Capistan, very few are left dissapointed with it.

3. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

yes its very possible but does require some practice. I reccomend practicing it with a metronome set at 4/4 and tapping in .8s at various tempos. Once you get a good feel for them, it isnt too bad.

4. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I'd look at a delay that has the dotted 8th note subdivision instead. You can do it on the fly, but it takes a lot of practice. There are plenty of great delays around that do the work for you.

I prefer the DD20. It's relatively inexpensive (especially used), built to last, sounds good and is easy to use.

5. shayneallen

shayneallen Member

6. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Exactly!

7. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I love how easy it is to set up irregular delays on the Digitech Timebender.

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

Subdivide it into 16ths and tap in 3...

1 e & is a dotted 8th...

Not rocket science if you subdivide it...

9. sosomething

sosomething Member

I've been playing for 20 years and used delay for a lot of that time, yet reading this post was like a lightbulb going on in my head. Maybe I'm not so bright but thank you anyway!

10. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

Get a delay that does it for you. K.I.S.S.

11. petrip

petrip Member

I find it more practical to have 4th as a tap tempo setting in a Delay and then tap as needed 8ths, dotted 8ths or something else. Remember that you can switch different subdivisions in one song when ever needed with a little practice.

See Harry Maes demo how to do that, starting from 7:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5bpnQPRsAA

12. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

Strongly suggest you check out the Empress Tape Delay. Incredibly user-friendly tap tempo.

13. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

:agree

14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I've done it... but... if you're singing at the same time... no way...

just get a delay that figures it out for you.

15. DavidH

DavidH Member

Deleted my other post as it was bollocks and would add confusion.

A dotted 8th means a note duration of an 8th note plus half an 8th note. So 1 e & a, is indeed an dotted 8th note duration, I do beg your pardon.

16. Jonderdonk

Jonderdonk Member

Ok, it sounds like I should get a pedal with a designated dotted 8ths tap mode... I checked out the Empress but it's too big for the spot on my pedal board. Does anyone know of a delay that is (at most) the same size as the Faux Tape Echo and has a tap tempo with dotted 8ths?

17. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Line 6 Echo Park... and it's analog and tape emulations are actually really good....

18. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

empress is no bigger than the wampler, if anything its actually smaller, just flip it sideways if that doesn't mess with your pedal OCD :D

I also suggest the echo park, as its tap tempo/bypass switch is a little more intuitive than the way that boss sets up theres, no hold function, just tap light to adjust tempo, and press down till you get the "click" to bypass, whereas boss you have to hold the switch for 2 seconds or so, in order to go back and forth between modes.