Can you use a looper loop as a tuner out?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeMcK, Aug 4, 2008.

1. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

I've noticed that some loopers like the Loop-Master have tuner outs. Can a regular loop without the return connected be used as a tuner out? Or does the return have to be terminated somehow?

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yup! You got it. Works excellently because without the return connected, it breaks the signal path, meaning the tuner will always tune "in quiet"...so you can use tuners that don't "mute" when you tune, save the bandmates and audience from hearing you tune.

I have several loopers, but lately have minimized my pedals, but still use a single-loop looper exactly as you mention, and it works great.

3. vinni

vinni Member

That's how I work,

I have a Strobostomp/2 in one of the loops of my VL Pedalswitcher without a return.
    When I activate the loop I have silent tuning.

Vinni

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

A tuner out is basically a loop with no return jack. So yes, it will work.

I use my SS in a loop into my wah pedal back into the input jack. When activating my wah, any tonesuck from the strobostomp (which is pretty unnoticeable to begin with) is negated. You'd have to be pretty ridiculous to care. "Omg, when I'm using my V847, the strobostomp is totally sucking tone! WTF???? True bypass? More like true bypASS!"

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

That's what I do. It makes no sense to have a dedicated tuner out when you can just use a loop and have the option of using the loop if your setup changes.

6. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

7. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

yes, not to rain on the parade, but you will find there is some bleed when you don't return the send. there are some ways around it (like just returning the no signal from the muted tuner) or you can just re wire the 3PDT switch to terminate the return and have it just be a AB instead of a TB loop. But you will find bleed if you don't complete the circuit.

8. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

If you don't want to get into re-wiring 3PDT's there's an easier way. Just solder a 60-100 Ohm resistor across the center of a 1/4inch jack to ground, and stick that in the return of the loop you want to use for the tuner. You can just solder it short circuit but the resistor will make the switch a bit softer. This will give you silent tuning.

All the best

9. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

For what it's worth, I had this happen on an old looper of mine.... but only found it noticeable at high volumes... and on stage when my volume was high enough, it never posed a problem. Just tuning in songs and between songs when commotion was going on. It was definitely noticeable at practices where I thought to my self "why is that bleeding through without a connection on the return". I guess that electricity will always find a way to survive.

10. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

That's what I was thinking, but was unsure of the resistance. Since this will only be engaged when the loop is engaged, do you think a cap might help avoid the "pop"?