• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Can you use a Lovepedal Half Watt or a Noisy Cricket as a pedal into another amp?

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Gold Supporting Member
I believe that I read about this idea before here, but I haven't found it on several tries. Is it okay to use a low wattage pedal-based amplifier such as a Lovepedal 1/2 Watt Amp or a Beavis Noisy Cricket into a tube amp as an overdrive/distortion pedal? The concern is whether a pedal amp into a tube amp would be bad for the tube amp.

I'd like to try it because my Lovepedal 1/2 Watt, the "Modern" or "Cannibal" version (the hairier of the two kinds that Sean made) gives a wonderful Marshall style sound, and I just keep wondering what it would sound like into a tube amp.

DaveKS

No, you can not run a speaker level output into front end of a amp.

Think the Bad Cat Unleash will do it, I think.

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Gold Supporting Member
Do you mean that you'd run the Lovepedal into a Bad Cat Unleash and then into a tube amp?

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Gold Supporting Member
That's pretty cool.

Whew, I am glad that I didn't go ahead and try this idea before asking.

luckett

You can most definitely use an LM386 amp into another amp. You don't need any kind of load device, you just run in straight into the amp input. I've done it many times with my run off groove Ruby. They make a great clean boost with tons of headroom and the overdrive also sounds great with the gain knob cranked.

There are also many other OD/dist pedals designed to run straight into an amp input that are based on the LM386 chip amp .

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Gold Supporting Member
I just read that there are regular overdrives that use the same chip. Can anyone help me understand why it usually wouldn't be okay to run a speaker level load but it might be here?

fahrner

Just curious. As I understand it, the Lovepedal 1/2 Watt was designed to drive a small speaker so 4 ohm or 8 ohm output. And you are saying it sounds great plugged into a guitar amp input?
Isn't that a significant impedance mismatch?
As it is such low power, don't think it would actually hurt anything but certainly not the same as an OD pedal designed to plug into a guitar amp (regardless of which IC it has inside).

You can most definitely use an LM386 amp into another amp. You don't need any kind of load device, you just run in straight into the amp input. I've done it many times with my run off groove Ruby. They make a great clean boost with tons of headroom and the overdrive also sounds great with the gain knob cranked.

There are also many other OD/dist pedals designed to run straight into an amp input that are based on the LM386 chip amp .

fahrner

I just read that there are regular overdrives that use the same chip. Can anyone help me understand why it usually wouldn't be okay to run a speaker level load but it might be here?
Because the IC used is independent of the designed output intended.

luckett

Solid state amps are fine with high impedance loads. It's when the load is too low that they have problems. Tube amps are completely different.

luckett

Because the IC used is independent of the designed output intended.
In the case of these LM386 amps, you can take the amp design straight from the datasheet and there are no problems running it into an amp input.

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Gold Supporting Member
JAnd you are saying it sounds great plugged into a guitar amp input?
I know that you were asking luckett, but I'd like to add that the Lovepedal 1/2 watt amps sound fantastic driving a speaker. I usually use an old Bell and Howell speaker cab, which is sixteen ohm. It is a fantastic pairing sonically. I assume that I'm not hurting the Lovepedal with the sixteen ohm speaker ... I've played these two together many times.

fahrner

Solid state amps are fine with high impedance loads. It's when the load is too low that they have problems. Tube amps are completely different.
Thanks for this Luckett.

So the bottom line is that the OP should be fine plugging into the high impedance input of a guitar amp. The signal would appear pretty large to the amp I'd guess so it would be prudent to start at low volume and gain settings.

Last edited:

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Gold Supporting Member
I've got old, cool amps mainly, tweed Fender, Magnatone, Supro ... maybe I'll start with the ten dollar single ended 1 watt tube amp that I picked up from Craigslist.

fahrner

Please post results.
Don't think you'll blow anything up. Just start off at low settings and work your way up to be safe.

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Gold Supporting Member
[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/dbblues/lovepedal-champ[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Very simple and rough demo, Strat into a Lovepedal Modern or Cannibal 1/2 watt amp into a '61 Champ, then the Champ clean. The clean may sound much better here because it is louder, and it is a fantastic amp. The Modern or Cannibal version is the hairier version of the 1/2 watt.

I ran the Lovepedal in at a low volume on the pedal and the amp, and nothing bad happened. I tried it through a Pignose first.

I had planned to use an inexpensive 60s one watt tube amp that is in my office ... but I forgot to bring it home.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom