Can you weight down the back strap on a neck heavy guitar??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dewman, Jun 2, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I've found several nice guitars (SG Classic, some small Semi-hollowbodies) are neck heavy, tipping forward when sitting and more often than not when standing as well. To me this is highly distracting, so I've passed on many fine guitars for these reasons.

I've always wondered if anyone could counter balance neck heavy guitars by placing a weight on a strap near the bottom strap button to offset the heavy neck. I am thinking of an invention that, like diver weights, could snugly clip on to the bottom of the strap, adding just enough weight to counter balance the guitar but not enough to really weigh you down. I am not sure if it would work at the strap botton position, but I am thinking of inventing something simple to take care of this...

Anyone have a solution??

2. 3th3r

3th3r Member

I think this would be a great idea. I'd buy one if it was well implemented. One reason I prefer LPs over SGs is because I hate the neck dive on most SGs, and yes, even with the wide strap that some suggest. I have thought about having a control cavity cover made out of heavy steel to counter weigh the neck heavyness, but I've never quite followed through on the idea.

3. dewman

I did a quick search and there are some rubber/plastic covered dive weights in small to very small sizes (less than 0.5 lbs) that a belt can slide through a single slot or double slot. Some appear to be clip ons as well. I would get the strap slide on versions, covered with protective soft plastic, and see wheher it works ok. There may be a dive shop locally. Nonetheless the weights were only like 5$ online. I just have no idea about the slit widths or weight that I would want to add. I am more curious about the physics of weighting the area near the straplock. Is it the right place or should the weigt e below the strap button, like on the tail of of a hanging strap, frther down to change the applied force on the fulcrum point of the shoulder (wow too much high school physics...)...

what do you guys think?? if we paint the plastic with a logo, sell them for 20 bucks...everyone will want one...

plus if some drunk guy tries to get up on stage and mess with your gear, you could beat the hell out of him with your strap!

4. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

On SGs and Firebirds for balance the strap needs to button behind the neck heel.

5. Redfish

Redfish Member

I've put fishing weights in the control cavities of neck heavy guitars back in the day. It sounds like a good idea to me. Just a few ounces can make a big difference.

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I bought a strap that has a rough suede inside section, this helps quite a bit.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I don't get the rational for selling/not buying a great guitar because it's neck heavy or light. Sorry, but this seems a trifle trivial to me, after all, you are holding the guitar while playing it, so what if it drops a bit when you let go. I like the rough strap idea...

8. codeorama

codeorama Member

I've done that as well, it works for sure.

9. Blind Rat

Blind Rat Member

This helps but If the guitar is keeper and you will play it lots then you could also move the rear strap button 2 or 3 inches toward the bass side my SG sits just great with these two mods.

10. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

This is what I do.

11. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

+1 on Redfish's post. I use lead fishing weights wrapped up in a tight package, stuffed into the lowest part of the control cavity. It helps quite a bit.

12. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

There's another trick. Run a piece of leather from the point on the strap where it crosses your left shoulder to the nut. It's really strange but it holds the guitar exactly in position at all times.

13. Structo

Structo Member

Thats the reason I don't use any of the nylon type guitar straps.
    They let the strap slide too much on your shoulder.
    I've always used straps made from leather that has a rough side on the backside so it doesn't slide around.
    I like a guitar to stay where I put it and this works well.
    I wouldn't want to add weight to an already heavy guitar.....

14. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

My lady friend hung a velvet bag of pennies from the bottom strap button of a slightly neck heavy bass- worked OK & looked kind of cool. I personally can't stand neck heavy guitars- there are thousands of great guitars that balance fine so I just choose from those. A failed Firebird attempt really cured me of neck heavy guitars.

15. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

Yeah, it's called a "Bigsby." I have an irrational hatred of those things but in this case, bolting one on might just tip the neck in your favor.

16. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

Industrial-strength Velcro on your shoulder and back of the strap.:banana

17. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

happened with my les paul special too until i got a strap that was rough textured on the shoulder pad...

18. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Install a Bigsby on the guitar ;^)

19. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

Another option are those Slider straps that hang over both shoulders and form an X across your back. I was told they keep a guitar very stable, probably due to the additional friction on your back from the double strap configuration.

20. dewman

good ideas...I like the fishing weights in the control cavity...inexpensive too!