Canadian Members "A"!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 316guitars, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 316guitars

316guitars Silver Supporting Member

We are planning an extended trip through Canada this summer and I am panning on hitting up as many great guitar shops as possible. This will be my first time in Canada since the 70s!!! Any tips on the best shops? Best for used and vintage gear especially! The entire route is still up in the air but well will be going from coast to coast and have three weeks to kill so I can plug in wherever as long as it's a great shop.

Thank you most kindly!

OK... is a "A" or "eh"?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

A? Did you mean Eh?

Good day, eh?

3. Belmont

Belmont Member

which part of Canada?

4. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

If you're coming to Ottawa, Lauzon Music has a great selection of high end guitars, amps, pedals and pianos. They're good people and Dave, the manager, is also a member here.

5. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

OP, I'm sure you are aware of this fact, but Canada is the second largest country in the world. Do you have an itinerary planned out, so we can suggest some regional spots? Québec and Ontario are two provinces that hold (I believe) the largest concentration of music stores. That's in the East. Where are you headed?

Should the Loonie continue its dormant spell, you should find a few choice bargains on Canadian gear.

6. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

7. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

ya great store

8. TB72

TB72 Member

What Marc said...

Great Store.

9. 316guitars

316guitars Silver Supporting Member

We will be at least 9 days between Québec and Ontario with a few more days spent heading west to Vancouver BC. I have all of June into and past the fourth to account for so overall a decent amount of time.

10. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Canada is BIG, you know, eh? If you are going coast to coast in only 3 weeks, the only time you will have to kill is sitting behind the wheel of your car. :rimshot

However, if you pass through Calgary, which is likely, you might want to check out Vintage Music. I haven't been in there since the late 90's, but that was always the place to find vintage guitars and amps.

http://vintage-music.ca/

Looks like they moved up the street from where they used to be, but I think that is the same guy that operated it before.

Other than that, you get the vanilla Canadian chains like L&M and Axe Music. They do have some used gear. I've bought used pedals from L&M and a used guitar from Axe.

11. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

If you go through Edmonton you have to stop at Avenue Guitars. Not quite the same place as it was before Brian passed away but still a great place.

http://www.avenue-guitars.com/

Then go to the end of the block and have lunch at the Continental. The pickle soup is legendary. Seriously. Try the tartar too if you roll that way.

http://ctfinebistro.com/home

12. Hipfan49

Hipfan49 Member

Avenue Guitars in Edmonton is the best store in Canada. It's not huge, but they have a lot of high end gear. I worked there for a few months about 10 years ago and I remember they had numerous master built Fenders, including one of 100 SRV exact replica strats. That one sold for about 15k iirc. They sold a vintage J200 to Greg Keelor of Blue Rodeo, which can be seen in the insert to their 2007 album Small Miracles. Lots of great amps and effects too.

13. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

For Montreal:

Moog Music for boutique pedals
    Musique Max for Suhr and higher end stuff
    Steve's for regular GC type inventory
    Diplomate for custom shop Fender

14. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

Absolutely.I'd add Italmelody in Montreal, Cosmo Music in Rchmond Hill, Ontario, and a whole bunch of cool stores in Toronto, namely the 12th fret. Empress effects pedals are made in Ottawa, then there's Montreal Assembly, and Solidgold FX in Montreal, as well. Some of these guys will meet you in their offices.

Summertime is GREAT for fun and games in Montreal, all sorts of live music & festivals happening all over the place. We love our summers, and a good gauge of rising temperature is how short the skirts get. Hope you will enjoy your visit.

15. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

When you'll be in Vancouver make sure to hit this store :

http://www.surfsidemusic.com

Has a bunch of cool vintage , random gear and some of the bigger brands as well...Robbie the shop owner ( and pretty much the only one in there )is cool and easy to bargain with

16. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Note that Surfside is about an hour into the 'burbs (i.e., its not actually in Vancouver) - but if you're going down to White Rock/Surrey it's probably one of the few things to do/see there :).

In Vancouver, my first stop would be Exile on Main Street - newly opened shop with lots of interesting fx, guitars, and amps, including quite a few vintage items.

Basone (mentioned above) doesn't have a huge selection but is worth a stop, and check out whatever original guitar builds Chris B has going at the time - he builds some beautiful guitars.

If you like Guitar Center type of shops, check out Long & McQuade and Tom Lee (also mentioned above). The Vancouver stores have a good selection of new mass produced guitars, amps, and accessories, and some boutique amps and pedals, as well as recording gear, drums, synths, etc.

Guitar Effects Canada is also far into the burbs (Langley), but has probably the best selection of boutique FX in the province.

As other said, Lauzon in Ottawa is a great shop. In Toronto, for sure check out Capsule Music.

17. jeancoltrane

jeancoltrane Member

capsule music in toronto is great, but their showroom is relocating at the moment. a very cool store is the kingston guitar shop, between montreal and toronto. www.coolguitars.ca

18. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I have yet to be to a good music store on the east coast I'm sorry to report.

19. Falco

Falco Member

When in Toronto be sure to check out The Twelfth Fret on the Danforth...if you like vintage instruments. Paul's Boutique is a cool little shop in Kensington Market. Capsule has no showroom so don't let people get your hopes up there - used to be a cool shop. Steve's music on Queen Street has a decent selection. Long and Macquade has a huge store at Bloor and Ossington. Ring Music is a cool shop at College and Spadina.

20. reverendfrankie

reverendfrankie Supporting Member

And as always - in the beautiful "overlooking the ocean" Vancouver Suburb of White Rock - Check out Tapestry Music. They have an unusually large selection of boutique pedals and Andre is cool to chat with.
    http://tapestrymusic.com/index.php?route=common/home

Rev.