Canadian Venue Selling Off The Entire contents of the Venue

Papanate

Through Able Auctions. I have to admit I got a little buzz watching the video
but afterwards I just thought - that's a lot of old stuff we don't use anymore.

Able Grip

Are all those Marshall amps real or just stage props? I feel sad for the owner(s). What a pile of work to amass such a collection.

Not at all - if he's been running a successful business, it will all have paid for itself long ago. He'll make profit if it sells for a dollar.

Most of the production gear looks 90's era, and isn't worth much. But killer deals for bar bands and home studios.

loudboy

Most of the production gear looks 90's era, and isn't worth much. But killer deals for bar bands and home studios.

I've been to a few auctions like this, and the deals usually aren't so killer - people seem to like to pay top dollar for outdated junk. It will be interesting to see what some of it goes for, and if they really do take any offer.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
i got excited at the bank of '70s marshalls (especially the 2203 at the far end) and amused at the humongous drum set with no bottom heads on the toms :rolleyes:.

the two mixwiz boards looked like the rarer and more expensive monitor-only versions, but they, the rack FX and all the incandescent light cans are mostly just curiosities now, aren't they? not to mention the wall full of old-school crown amps, that corner of the warehouse might weigh an actual ton.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
It says at the beginning that they were also a rental company. Explains the road cases and the big quantities of some of the stuff.

Maltese Fan

i got excited at the bank of '70s marshalls (especially the 2203 at the far end) and amused at the humongous drum set with no bottom heads on the toms :rolleyes:.

the two mixwiz boards looked like the rarer and more expensive monitor-only versions, but they, the rack FX and all the incandescent light cans are mostly just curiosities now, aren't they? not to mention the wall full of old-school crown amps, that corner of the warehouse might weigh an actual ton.
Drummer I new said it's easier to tune the drums for recording without the bottom heads on the toms.

DrumBob

AFAIK the "no bottom heads thing" is kind of a '70s holdover, most serious drummers don't do that anymore.

That's exactly right. Concert toms were a 70's thing, and fortunately, haven't come back in style. I can see their usefulness in terms of recording, but I'd say 98% of drummers want toms with bottom heads today. I always disliked the sound of concert toms, and because there's no bottom head, the bearing edges inevitable get destroyed with use. It was just a bad idea all around.

walterw

That's exactly right. Concert toms were a 70's thing, and fortunately, haven't come back in style.
that's it, "concert toms". i'd forgotten what that was called.

nowadays i see that and i think "garage band toms". i usually see it on kits where the shells are like different colors and the heads are covered in duct tape :cool:

DrumBob

that's it, "concert toms". i'd forgotten what that was called.

nowadays i see that and i think "garage band toms". i usually see it on kits where the shells are like different colors and the heads are covered in duct tape :cool:

Right, I call them "beater sets." In describing what you said, what usually happens is, careless idiots wind up taking the bottom heads and rims off their toms and then lose them, so you see all these crappy old drums with no bottom heads.

Some genius in a drum magazine predicted concert toms would come back in style. He was dead wrong. That concert tom set from the Canadian auction is a relic of a bygone era. They'll have trouble selling those things. Very few drummers play those gigantic multi-tom setups anymore anyway. It took years, but the basic four piece drumset is finally back in style. I knew if I waited long enough it would happen. That's what I have pretty much always used.

jmoose

Some genius in a drum magazine predicted concert toms would come back in style. He was dead wrong. That concert tom set from the Canadian auction is a relic of a bygone era. They'll have trouble selling those things.

Ummm... no. That kits actually pretty valuable, way more then the dinosaur amps & cabs and an easy sell for the right person.

Quite a few high profile drummers are using concert tom kits today. Mike Portnoy has had a concert tom kit on the road with Winery Dogs recently. Was featured in Modern Drummer last year. Joey Waronker has been spotted playing concert tom kits with Beck, Gnarls Barkley and at least half of LA. I've seen Dave Ghrol & Taylor Hawkins both playing concert toms too... Neil Pert??

Lotta modern builders are offering concert toms in their current catalogs... Tama, Ludwig, Craviotto, Canopus, DW, Gretsch etc.

Concert toms are quite often misunderstood and mis-miked which accounts for some of the reputation. With the right setup through they project like crazy and are easy to tune to specific notes. They're no more a "relic of an era" then a 100 watt Marshall & 4x12.

Flip side, about two years ago a neighbor gave me a pair of '60s stencil kit sparkle toms... 13 & 16 that were setup as concert toms and yeah, even with fresh heads they kinda sucked but those drums probably always sucked and 40 years of neglect didn't help. After a few months I gave 'em to someone else who was learning to play.

DrumBob

Ummm... no. That kits actually pretty valuable, way more then the dinosaur amps & cabs and an easy sell for the right person.

Quite a few high profile drummers are using concert tom kits today. Mike Portnoy has had a concert tom kit on the road with Winery Dogs recently. Was featured in Modern Drummer last year. Joey Waronker has been spotted playing concert tom kits with Beck, Gnarls Barkley and at least half of LA. I've seen Dave Ghrol & Taylor Hawkins both playing concert toms too... Neil Pert??

Lotta modern builders are offering concert toms in their current catalogs... Tama, Ludwig, Craviotto, Canopus, DW, Gretsch etc.

Concert toms are quite often misunderstood and mis-miked which accounts for some of the reputation. With the right setup through they project like crazy and are easy to tune to specific notes. They're no more a "relic of an era" then a 100 watt Marshall & 4x12.

Flip side, about two years ago a neighbor gave me a pair of '60s stencil kit sparkle toms... 13 & 16 that were setup as concert toms and yeah, even with fresh heads they kinda sucked but those drums probably always sucked and 40 years of neglect didn't help. After a few months I gave 'em to someone else who was learning to play.

I'll have to take your word for it. I haven't seen any of what you mentioned.

walterw

Quite a few high profile drummers are using concert tom kits today.
very interesting. looks like mounted toms yes, kick and floor toms no.

portnoy:
12079481_1094999307184377_1928671032660610374_n.jpg.f4b2d42044ed83482ce9e74c6180e033.jpg

waronker:
Joey%20kit%202%20(Medium).jpg

(although i'm also seeing this smaller portnoy kit, bottom head back on):
1C6A3869-600x400.jpg

I've heard some great stuff with concert toms, this comes to mind :

Great attack on the toms from the Sennheiser MD421 shoved inside. Sounded just as good at live shows.

jmoose

very interesting. looks like mounted toms yes, kick and floor toms no.

All depends. Hawkins kit is (was) full concert toms including floors. Even in the studio... from the Sonic Highways sessions...

Portnoy will basically play anything his tech sets up for him... lol But he did say that he specifically wanted concert toms on the newest kit because that's what a lot of his heros used back in the day. Alex Van Halen, Roger Taylor in Queen, Phil Collins etc.

Those Blamire toms on Waronker's kit are ludicrously rare and valuable! Supposedly the concert tom thing started with Hal Blaine who liked the sound of using timbales and bongos as "toms" in the studio. He's played on a million sessions, TV and records so that set the groundwork.

2012-festivals-roundup-best-and-worst-2012-festivals-and-festival-performances_foo-fighters-taylor-hawkins-on-stage-at-leeds-festival-2012_by-alex-de-mora_1000x775Px72Dpi.jpg

attachment.php

Trending Topics

Top Bottom