Canadians and Keely mods...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SteveStevens, Sep 29, 2006.

1. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Have any Canadians sent stuff to Keely to modded? I want to get the Blues Driver mod but don't really want to have to pay duty on an item i've already paid for in this country. I can see the dufuses at Canada Customs being oblivious to the semantic subtleties. I would ostenibly be sending it to the States for "repair". Do they have any grounds to charge duty? If not, how do I ensure this is clear to all parties involved?

Steve

2. bionic

bionic Member

Steve from Besnard Lakes? If not, you can buy a Keely modded Blues Driver at Tone Boutique. (514) 287-9009

3. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Yes Jonathan. It's me. You caught me wasting my life on the internet. Tone Boutique is nice, eh? That's why I ask about the shipping. I don't want to have to sell my Blues Driver just to buy a Blues Driver. Know what I mean?

Steve From The Besnard Lakes

4. bionic

bionic Member

Ahahahaha, you geek....uh wait a minute, if you are on this page and I'm....
    Awesome place and Jeremy was really cool. Didn't have time to plug in but will go check out the amps next week. He sid he really liked your Stevenson tele. That Valley Arts tele was pretty sweet too. I sent a DD2 to Analogue Man to get modded and put it down as a repair on the customs sticker and I seem to recall I didn't get dinged when it came back. If in doubt ask if Robert can put it down as a gift item when he sends it back. Was the Blues Driver mod really that good? I think I may have one laying around here as well.

5. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

It sounded good to me. I should probably go by and A/B them just be sure. Nice and thick and seemed to clean up more naturally than the stock BD. Of course, I could always find that the opposite is true when I a/b them. I really have no idea what I'm doing...We suck...

6. el34power

el34power Member

Hey there i bought my Keeley BD-2 new from Keeley but. I imagine that "repair" can't justify as a purchase... not to hyjack here but
    There is a guy in Dollard that mods pedals. I am sure he can work on the BD. I can send you the lynk on monday.. Here is his email....
    greg.djerrahian@sympatico.ca
    he modded a few units for me.

7. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

Hey Jonathan, where's Tone Boutique? I'm in Montreal and never heard of this place.:confused:

8. jemsongs

jemsongs Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the nice words. I hope to see you all soon at Boutique Tone. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

9. jbert58

jbert58 Member

Jeremy,

Just checked out your site - looks like a great space! Look forward to coming in for a visit soon.

À bientôt!

JB

10. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

WOW!

That's VERY cool!
    I didn't know there was that kind of boutique here in Montreal.
    When did you you open your doors?

I'm going to see your store very soon!

:dude

11. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I had an amp modded in the US before and I recall having trouble with the customs guys charging fees on the value of the amp. As other have noted UPS charges very high 'brokerage' fees (they can't call it duty or something when there is supposed to be a Free Trade Agreement between our countries). However shipping US Post seems to be a breeze. Even if you had to pay a brokerage fee it would be reasonable ($5 last time for me). I'd ask Keeley which shipping method he uses.

12. Marcello

Marcello Member

+1 same here, that's awesome !

we need a Montreal amp fest :D

13. jemsongs

jemsongs Member

Amp Fest sounds like a great idea. We will be hosting many 'Tone Parties' in the store where we'll have some smokin' players demo'ing the gear. Of course you will all be invited and I'll post the schedule here as well as on our website. We have some amazing new gear on its way (Divided By 13 amps and effects, for example) and I would appreciate hearing from you guys as to what you'd like to see in the store. Hope to see you all soon.

Thanks,

Jeremy

14. drolling

drolling Member

You never know what Canada Customs'll do. I sent a pedal down to Texas for repairs and was charged taxes on the full declared value written on the package for insurance purposes. The postman wouldn't hand it over till I coughed up the dough, so I'd call the builder before sending anything down.

Sometimes stuff slips thru' w/no charges at all, tho' - so I figure it all works out in the long run..

15. Nathan

Nathan Member

FINALLY -a decent music sotre n Montreal! I found it last week, I have to visit ASAP. Thank you for giving us something other than Steve's and Ital!!!!!!

16. m4tt

m4tt Member

haha, I just emailed Jeremy about boutiquetone a couple days ago. AMAZING to see a canadian boutique dealer.

im so making the 6hr trip

17. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

You'll want to make sure the box is marked as return from repair on it's way back so our beloved government doesn't try to collect taxes for it's value again.

18. valen

valen Member

Damn ! I was thinking of opening up a store like Boutique Tone in Montreal because that market is really not being served. Oh well, I guess I'll just visit yours :AOK

19. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

No problems when I have done it (twice). Keeley shipped USPS and they are great to deal with compared to ups and fedex bastards.

Before I sent mine off to him I took a picture of me, my driver's liscense and the pedal so I could prove prior ownership if need be...just to be safe.

20. codeorama

codeorama Member

The Keeley Blues Driver is amazing IMO. It really fattens your tone and adds an "It" factor...