Cancer.....if you discovered a cure, what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2HBStrat, May 21, 2015.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

If you discovered a cure for cancer would you give it to the world, or would you market it and sell it? If you discovered a cheap source for electricity, would you give it to the world, or would you sell it? If you discovered a combustible engine that ran on water, would you make the technology available to everyone, or would you capitalize on it?

2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Give it. I wouldn't hold the world hostage by having to pay for it

kramerlover and coltonius like this.
  3. sleewell

sleewell Member

my best friend is currently battling stage IV colon cancer. if i discovered a cure i would make sure he was cured and wouldn't care about any monetary benefits.

kramerlover likes this.
  4. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Let me ask you this. Every single individual in this world has a unique skill (their own labor) which in their own unique way creates a positive impact on the world. Should we all be working for free? If we all worked for free, who would be willing to perform the lowest level jobs? How would we deal with those who chose to consume far more than the were willing to work (for free) to offset? Idealistic questions seem simple when viewed at the 10,000 foot view, but under closer scrutiny tend to fall apart.

R3deemed, 440gtx6pak and gigs like this.
  5. Mindcore

Mindcore Member

I'd charge on a sliding scale. Kids would be free

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Many cancer survival rates are now in the 90 percent. Though not a cure per se, it seems we are closing in on better and better treatment. Of course, there are still a number where survival rates are quite poor.

Pharmaceutical companies and other med tech that treats and cures cancer is big biz. There's a heck of a lot of R&D that goes into new treatment. Your scenario seems a fantasy. Are we talking about some sort of epiphany, or years of hard work and scientific research? If the former, it sounds like it was basically gifted to you, so why not? If the latter, being compensated for years of work doesn't seem out of line.

7. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

You'd probably be paid more to bury it.

Edmond and popinvasion like this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

The basic idea is.....if you discovered something that would benefit mankind in a hugely significant way, would you basically give it away for the betterment of mankind in general, or would you set it up as a profit situation for yourself? It's just a question for discussion....there are no wrong answers so no need to be defensive about it.

9. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I'd grow rich on the backs of the under privileged. ha ha aha ha ha ahahahahahah

10. gigs

gigs Member

Patent each one of those. Then not enforce the cancer patent. The other ones I would try to make money from and do with the proceeds as I see fit.

11. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Wait, only poor people get cancer now?

If you spent your life working toward solving some huge issue facing mankind I have no problem with you monetizing it.

12. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Well, its unlikely that any of these things will happen without a huge upfront investment in research so I don't think the scenario ever plays out.

13. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I would set up a charity, charge for the cure/treatment/technology, and use the proceeds to fund the charity. You could still give away the cure on a needs based analysis, or do it through the charity.

14. Calaban

Calaban Member

I think he's simply talking about the kind of personal choice you would make...not a general philosophy. I'm not sure all the Ayn Rand stuff really applies here.
    A cure for cancer should be available to everyone...period.

That said I would probably sell it at a very affordable rate to most people (in the case of free or cheap energy the consumer base would be massive) and give it to the most unfortunate among us.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I'd watch from a safe location while zombies, nanites or super-intelligent apes took over the world.

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

I would retain ownership and patent protection and then carefully screen applicants for licensing.
    I'm not a greedy person, but I would insure that my children's future is secure and protected.

I would not withhold treatment from those in need or attempt to clean out their bank accounts and force them
    to sell everything they have worked for to support a for-profit health care system.

17. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

Here's the problem with your question: The investment it takes to discover a cure for cancer...or a new source of power...is so substantial, it REQUIRES an expectation of a financial return, or nobody is going to invest in the R&D in the first place.

So, unless you happen across magic unicorns and rainbows with omnipotent powers, your question makes little sense.

BIGGERSTAFF likes this.
  18. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I'll play (and I'm no libertarian). I would like to believe, my heart says, the reward of making the world an infinitely better place and ease the suffering of millions and millions would be payment enough for me personally. But when I think further it's an unrealistic and idealistic answer and I would more likely try to protect my intellectual property.

Let's think about this further. One miraculously discovers a cure for cancer without any significant investment of resources and gives it away for free....but what is exactly being given away? The knowledge of what the cure is? Unless this discovery is as naturally abundant as grass how would the cure be manufactured and distributed? Would I be burdened with individually treating every cancer patient in the entire world? What is more likely is the knowledge (intellectual property) is given away for free and them big pharma makes their money in distribution. In the case of a water engine, does discovering the method mean anything without a company to build fleets of vehicles using the technology?

19. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

In software, I believe the appropriate term is freeware. I feel the same applies to global pandemics.

20. T Dizz

T Dizz Member