Candy Apple Red Patch-up paint?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jmcorey, Feb 14, 2008.

1. jmcorey

jmcorey Supporting Member

So my guitar case falls onto my guitar, and the bottom of one of the hinges takes a big gouge from the paint on the side of the guitar. 1989 AM std. strat. Yuck!!

Anyone know where I can get Candy Apple Red patch up paint?

Thanks

2. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

automotive touch up paint

3. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Candy apple read, in its true sense is a multistage paing. Gold under transparent Red.
    Is the damage all the way to the wood or just to the base or clear coat? Can you post a close up of the damage?
    Candy jobs are a difficult repair. Most of the time your better off leaving it. Car guys typically do the whole panel from what I've read.
    The recent toyota line has a nice candy red that the touch up may work. I would try it in the trem cavity to see the match.

4. ford

ford Member

You've been reliced!:(

Good luck with the touchup.

bford

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Go to the drug store and look for a matching color fingernail polish - Might mot be a 100% match because your finish has aged, but hey . . . you might just be surprised ;)

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

Some are gold under red transparent, while others are SILVER under red transparent. My USAV 57 RI Strat is gold under, while my MIJ 62 RI Tele HAS to be Silver. There's a distinct difference in the look. I think my MIJ look more authentic, imho. But both are cool as hell!

7. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Not an easy touch-up. Leave it....

or go for the nail polish color closest

8. george4908

george4908 Member

Does Testors still make candy apple red? We used it all the time as kids when building models. Not sure how closely it would match the classic Fender color, but in a pinch it might do.

9. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

It will probably match as good as anything available to the normal public. The problem is this is a bad color type to do a match on and the match is gonna look worse. I wouldn't attempt this without recoating the base silver/gold and red and clear over the whole guitar.

10. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

An 89 American standard will have a poly finish. Don't touch it up. It'll make it look worse.

If you can't live with the dent, then consider learning how to refinish an entire guitar body. If you do go ahead with that, then you can use nitro, which sounds better.

Plus, if you dent the guitar up again in the future, you can touch it up with ease. That's one of the nice things about nitro, it makes touching up a piece of cake.