Cannabis industry, legit?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jiml, May 13, 2019.

1. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

as opposed to....... what? Alcohol? Cigarettes? Etc.....? McDonald's?

PdL and Scrapperz like this.
  2. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

It could, potentially, end up well for our kids. Consider this: Once we dispel all of the false, negative propaganda that the guv has been beating into our heads for the last century and the taboo of cannabis is lifted, you may see more people using it for its medical benefits thus consuming fewer pharmaceuticals. Specifically, opioids but certainly not limited to them.

PdL and Scrapperz like this.
  3. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

Thanks, I didn't know that the THC levels range so much. I came from a generation that was pretty widely ambivalent towards pot. Lots of us did it, some did it a lot and those folks were sorta written off. I don't think any of us moderate users believed it was harmless. But it was a hell of a lot better than the hard stuff that most all of us steered clear of. It was pretty much like soccer, eventually all of us tried it but very few became lifelong users. Ha.

I do think alcohol is different. We have a long history with alcohol and we know a lot about it. We've had billions spent on good research to the point that we have a very good understanding on the risks and effects. Most of the marijuana research has been advocate-driven, a fair amount of it junk. I know legitimate research is ramping up, unfortunately not as fast as legalized sales, but in time we will have much better data on marijuana and its health benefits/effects and social costs/benefits. As a voter and parent, I'm still ambivalent about it, but I've got a very healthy skepticism to "advocates" of any issue. Pot is no different.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Scrapperz and Comfort Player like this.
  4. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

I’m an alcohol user and not a cannabis user. I like craft beer. That said, if my sons had to have a vice moving forward, I’d absolutely prefer it to be cannabis over alcohol.

1967SG, ChazMania, Scrapperz and 2 others like this.
  5. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

Yep. We know precisely how bad each of these are for kids and adults. How bad is pot for kids? Will it harm them long-term physically, mentally? Will moderate use cause health problems? Will moderate use lead to increased instances of schizophrenia or other mental disorders? Or is it totally organic and natural and awesome?

Discuss amongst yourselves. ;)

Scrapperz likes this.
  6. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

So this statement is absolutely true. Problem is, alcohol continues to be a HUGE problem in our society and all of the research and bazillions of years of experience with alcohol hasn't made it any better. I would add to this by saying that the advent of the automobile has worsened the issue because it turns otherwise innocuous drunks into missiles but the problem of altered thinking goes back several epochs.

Juneaumike and Scrapperz like this.
  7. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

It can be. Depends on who is cultivating and processing it. Legalization means regulation so your end result is likely to be much cleaner than the "dirty" weed that's been on the streets all these years.

Scrapperz likes this.
  8. massacre

massacre Silver Supporting Member

Walter White was also a fictional character in a scripted TV show

vr6pilot likes this.
  9. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

I live near Albuquerque. White's house is completely caged-in by 7 or 8 foot tall iron bars. Too many people throwing pizzas on the roof.

10. massacre

You don’t have to smoke a whole joint. Just take a hit or two and then evaluate. Obviously do this at a time when you don’t have to drive

11. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor Member

Are you saying alcohol prohibition was successful?

12. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/16/opinion/actually-prohibition-was-a-success.html
    Well, as you can guess, it's complicated. From a public policy standpoint it was hugely sucessful. People wanted prohibition, it greatly reduced alcohol consumption, people changed their minds and the government complied with their demand and legalized it. It tested democracy, and democracy worked.

My ignorance of prohibition is mostly due to relying on popular culture for my info. Like many other things, there's always more to the story. Did you ever see Ken Burns' documentary series on prohibition? It was good stuff, but loooooonggggggg.

(Sorry bout all the edits. I'm home sick today and on a tablet. Making tons of typos)

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  13. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Sez you. - lol

14. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I'm a user of both and I agree. My son is soon to be 10, I had already smoked weed a few times when I was his age. I didn't smoke from 17 to 41, now I have been for 10 years. I would far prefer my son to (if he gets a vice) to use weed over alcohol.

15. massacre

[​IMG]

16. jiml

jiml Member

Great stuff here, really interesting.

Probably going to pass, cash only, potential shaky future and what will my kids think?

17. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

At this point the Feds will not do anything - if they did they would
    be crushed in a court - with the likely outcome of Pot going off schedule.

18. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Not really. All it will take is a change in direction from the justice department, and they will have a whole bunch of “legit” companies and their employees to go after on Conspiracy and Racketeering charges. The underlying business is still a federal crime, so it’s hard to say that any part of the business is fully legit.

MrSteve likes this.
  19. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Super Yawn right back - lol@U

20. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

What leads you to believe the feds would be crushed in court?

MrSteve likes this.