Cannabis Rex --->BFDR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by plaintop, Jan 27, 2006.

1. plaintop

plaintop Member

Wow, whoever said to put an Eminence Cannabis Rex in a DR was right. It sounds awesome! The first thing I noticed were the tamed highs. I can actually use my treble knob now. All the chime remains, it sorta cleaned up the top-end. Mids are nice and open still with more hollow lower mids and a deep bass response that works well with a DR. Nice touch sensitivty and textured feel to the tone. Overall, a little darker and smokey-er, but it adds flexibility to the amp.

:AOK:AOK

YMMV

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

:AOK My favorite in a DR.

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

That's cool .. I recommend them with almost any amp. I have a huge variety of amps and should probably trade a bunch of my current speakers for more CR's as they're amongst my favorites.. Right from day1 I figured they'd be great in any old Fender! BUT, I use them with anything from ENGLS to THDS to Marshalls to anything else! ERIC

4. John55

John55 Member

I love mine in the BFDR. Couldn't imagine a better speaker for this amp.

5. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Hey Brian, glad you finally took the plunge... think I might do the same. How does the C Rex breakup? I've got a Texas Heat in my BFDR presently and love the tone but wish the speaker broke up a bit as it doesn't really at all, just amp distortion comes thru the T Heat...

6. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Better than a Celestion blue?

7. Boogs

Boogs Member

The C Rex breaks up *really* late, which is why I got mine. In fact, I don't play enough at the volumes required to break it up to even tell you what it sounds like, but it's said to sound amazingly good just before the point of blowing.

In other words, look elsewhere for more breakup. ;)

8. fast ricky love

I see... damn! Thanks Boogs.

9. plaintop

plaintop Member

Yeah, you have to get it up on about 6-8 or so before you really get the meat out of it. 50 watts, it's loud. Just a finer variant of Eminence speaker tone. I find some consistent, signature quality and tone with these. This is a good one...

10. jockman

jockman Member

I have been saying the C-Rex is superb since I put one in My little Park 20w.
    I think its a superb speaker, perfectly described by plaintop, in my amp, which is a bright amp, it makes it more 'balanced' sounding, all the frequencies just seem 'right' somehow.

11. johan

johan Member

I asked for a replacement speaker for my June 65 DR here a couple of months ago. Got the CR and haven't thought about it since. Amazing speaker for Fender amps!!...Good move!

12. fast ricky love

I just got my C Rex off of a Forum bro (thanks Steve!) and LOVE it. Not what I expected as I'd heard so much about it being a dark speaker but I don't find that the case. It's very balanced and has a nice top end that retains chime and clarity. Definately a balanced sound for the DR, I can't stop playing it! :)

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever made 1 post calling a Cannabis Rex dark, but many others have. It's balanced that's it , plain and simple for me... ALSO , others have said they need breaking in , and become warmer as they break in .. NOt mine.. I only have 2 but they were both bought at different times (had 1 other... it blew due to a defect and they replaced it instantly with 1 that sounded just the same) .. None of the 3 required breaking in , but they in fact got brighter the longer I've played them, not warmer.

Keep in mind I'm playing loud amps through them ,either Engls, THD's , Marshalls, Demeters, Oranges,etc and they're cranked from day 1 as I don't play at low volumes ever.. THe more wattage thru them the better they sound too... I predicted from day1 they'd be perfect for my long-since-sold Deluxe Reverb as when I had my Deluxe Reverb I went thru all kinds of speaker swappage, and the CR is just about the ideal sound I'd have looked for! ROck on

ERIC

14. fast ricky love

Man what a kick ass speaker. I've been playing this amp ALL day and am just thoroughly enjoying this amp like I never have!

15. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Yep, my favorite speaker for the DR as well.

16. plaintop

plaintop Member

I think when compared to other speakers (old Jensens etc..), it could be categorized as "darker". Detail and Balance is the perfect description for a CR.

I knew you'd like it Rich. :dude

17. fast ricky love

Well, not only do I like it, but it was the FIRST time my wife walked over and said that that tone is really nice! First time she did so on her own accord without my prompting her.

She also asked that I stop playing the same tunes I usually play... :)

18. Seegs

Seegs Member

I hate to take credit for it but that might have been me:) I stuck one in my 64 Deluxe and my Fargen Dual Classic a while ago and havn't had to change speakers in about a year which is a world record for me!!

Chow,
    Seegs

19. plaintop

plaintop Member

John55 turned me on to it...in a phone conversation about a month ago. ;)