• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Cannabis Rex Break-in Period - Ampeg Reverberocket 2

el duderino

I recently purchased a '66 Ampeg Reverberocket 2, which sounds absolutely fantastic. It came with the original speaker and I thought it might be a good idea to swap it out, being that it's almost 50 years old and all.

I did some research here and on a few other forums and it seems like the Cannabis Rex is a popular choice. So, for the first time in my 20+ years of playing I bought a brand new speaker. I dropped it in last week and I really don't like the sound, very middy and kinda congested sounding (especially with dirt).

I know as new speakers break in the sound changes, but I should probably like it a little bit right of the bat, right? I've got maybe 8 hours of loud playing on it and the sound doesn't seem to be changing much. What are the odds of the speaker changing dramatically after once it breaks in? Maybe I should be looking for a speaker closer to the original Ampeg.

Last edited:

OaklandA

Gold Supporting Member
From what I remember about the older Reverberockets (great amp, by the way), is that they're a little on the dark side and have a soft edge to them. The CRex might not be the best match.

Jakejj2000

I recently purchased a '66 Ampeg Reverberocket 2, which sounds absolutely fantastic. It came with the original speaker and I thought it might be a good idea to swap it out, being that it's almost 50 years old and all.

I did some research here and on a few other forums and it seems like the Cannabis Rex is a popular choice. So, for the first time in my 20+ years of playing I bought a brand new speaker. I dropped it in last week and I really don't like the sound, very middy and kinda congested sounding (especially with dirt).

I know as new speakers break in the sound changes, but I should probably like it a little bit right of the bat, right? I've got maybe 8 hours of loud playing on it and the sound doesn't seem to be changing much. What are the odds of the speaker changing dramatically after once it breaks in? Maybe I should be looking for a speaker closer to the original Ampeg.
I suggjest you play that puppie.. Best bet is if you dont like how the speaker sounds you womt when its broken in cos it will still have the same characteristics! I suggjest the EM12 from eminance, or the governer..

senojnad

I bought a C-Rex about 3 years ago for a speaker cabinet I made (solid pine, finger jointed, etc.) Overall I'm disappointed with it and will try something different one of these days. The break-in process did not result in significant improvements.

BigPapiFan

Gold Supporting Member
I thought the C. rex sounded pretty good in my Reverberocket II, and I liked it right away. But if you don't like it you could try a vintage series Weber speaker alnico or ceramic - either should work and sound as good as the oem Jensen or CTS in that amp.

TylerRex790

C-Rexes (any hemp coned amp, for that matter,) have longer break in times. Probably closer to 16-20 hrs in my experience, but it opens up and sounds amazing.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
I like a blackback/greenback G12M-55hz in a RR2. I also like to tweak the negative feedback from the standard 10K to 51K.

Last edited:

Silent Sound

The Reverberocket 2 is my favorite all time amp! Does yours have the 12ax7 or 7199 PI? I like the sound of the 7199, but those tubes are expensive and hard to find! My preference, is an old Jensen C12N. I actually have a C15N in mine. You want something nice and clear in that amp. The old Jensen's were great for that. I'd avoid the old CTS, Oxford, Utah, Rola, etc. Those don't have the definition and clarity of the Jensen's and wouldn't be doing this amp justice. A JBL might be a good option though. Really any speaker that people complain has "ice pick highs" would probably be a good bet. These amps aren't terribly bright on their own and can be easily controlled with their Baxandall EQ. So you're better off with a speaker that's too bright, and then backing off the treble on the amp, than going the other way around.

I hate the C-Rex. I'm convinced that all of the people bragging about how great it is don't play in a band or record. If you're just playing by yourself at low levels in your bedroom, I could see how the lack of high end would be appealing. But if you're trying to get out above the other musicians without drowning them out with sheer volume then you'll need that high end. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion and you should form your own and base it on personal experience and what I or anyone else posts to sites like this.

FFTT

The C-Rex was fine in my '64 Reverberocket as long as I was playing single coils and not pushing the low end too much. It would get too boomy with HB's in neck position and still does transferred over to my
Blues Deluxe. The top end smooths over time with a hard 50 hour break-in, but the low end remains heavy.
I basically played any guitar through the C-Rex in middle or bridge position to compensate.

The Reverberockets seem to perform best with a tight crisp detailed speaker.
This is why I put a 2001 Fane Axiom 12/75 in mine and there it stays.

It was a good call to pull the original driver.
It cost me $85.00 plus round trip shipping to have Weber re-cone my original CTS 15 watter.

DaveKS

As you see speaker prefs are a totally polarizing discussion. Me I like Tone Tubby 40/40 cause it was a little more mids focused and had more top end sparkle than Rex even though it's also hemp. It perfect for me, but some people will still say it's to dark, which it is a warmer speaker. One persons perfect is another persons MEH. No right or wrong just personal preferences.

Me I'd try the 40/40, but then it's my fav speaker. I'd rec' you try a WGS ET65 in that amp, if that's a little to Brit, try a Alltone/Reverend 1250.

el duderino

Lots of great recommendations. I had a Jensen P15n in a Gemini II a while back and dug it. Maybe I'll take a closer look at the Jensen stuff.

colinesquire

Speaker break-in will offer little if any perceptable change in sound sorry to say. Can you return the speaker or exchange for another emi?

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Lots of great recommendations. I had a Jensen P15n in a Gemini II a while back and dug it. Maybe I'll take a closer look at the Jensen stuff.
Just change that negative feedback resistor to 51K or 68K. More cost effective.

subtomic

I just picked up one of these myself and it has a vintage Jensen C12R in it. I'm not inclined to swap it for the moment - it sounds good and I plan to use the amp for low volume situations (apartment noodling and recording).

If I start gigging again, however, I'm thinking I might pull the Jensen to extend its life. Anyone think a Celestion gold would sound good with the amp or would a more American style speaker be the most complimentary?

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I hate the C-Rex. I'm convinced that all of the people bragging about how great it is don't play in a band or record. If you're just playing by yourself at low levels in your bedroom, I could see how the lack of high end would be appealing. But if you're trying to get out above the other musicians without drowning them out with sheer volume then you'll need that high end. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion and you should form your own and base it on personal experience and what I or anyone else posts to sites like this.
I like the C-Rex, but I guess it depends on the other instruments with which you are playing. I have it in a BF Vibrolux clone that is pretty bright anyway. I typically only play clean, with bass and drums, so I don't have a lot of similar sonic space to compete with. I like the way it tames the treble pickup on my Tele and warms up my 175. However, I could see how it would not pair well with a darker amp.

TylerRex790

I play with bands and run two 112 PRRIs, one with a Canis Major (Alnico Hemp Coned) and the other with a C-Rex. They do not kill my high end (granted I run the treble knob around 7.5-8, which is way higher than I could pleasantly run it with a paper cone.) My alt-country/indie band consists of me on vocals and guitar, a bassist (running an Orange AD200B,) a pedal steel player (through a 68' CDR,) a pianist, and a drummer. My amps sit great in a live mix and cut very well. My tone has a Harvest/Ditch Trilogy era NY feel. I just think hemp cones work best in Blackface/Silverface Fenders. I probably wouldn't run one in an Ampeg.

Last edited:

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a C-Rex about 3 years ago for a speaker cabinet I made (solid pine, finger jointed, etc.) Overall I'm disappointed with it and will try something different one of these days. The break-in process did not result in significant improvements.

That's actually what I LIKE about the C-Rex, and hemp cone speakers in general- they seem to not break in as much a regular speakers, ever... meaning: when you take them out of the box, they sound very close to what they will sound like after break-in. No drastic changes. Makes speaker swapping/shopping much easier, imo.

FFTT

Yeah, really the C-Rex is great for taming while not killing highs in amps you think are too bright.

Trending Topics