Cannabis Rex or Celestion G12H for my DRRI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by smogfalls, Jun 27, 2008.

1. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

Hi,
    I'm totally new to the whole speaker swapping thing and am only going on what I've read on here so far...
    Anyway, I'm looking for a new speaker for my Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I've heard that a simple speaker change can turn this amp from great to excellent! Also, I'd like to tame the highs a little bit so they're not so "ice-picky". I'm after a kind of warm, defined yet still sparkly in the right places kind of a tone.
    I've narrowed it down to these 2 so far...

* Cannabis Rex
    * Celestion G12H

I'm leaning toward the Cannabis Rex as it seems to be the most talked about of the two.
    Is anyone able to compare these two?
    Thanks ever so much,
    Xan :)

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with the Rex but I have put a G12H in a blackface Deluxe Reverb and it sounds really nice. It will add a little Marshall mojo to the amp but that can be a good thing.

3. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

Cool, how did the change effect the highs? I'd like to tame the highs a tad but not lose them.

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The G12H30 has plenty of high end. Until one is broken in, it may sound a bit ratty in a Deluxe. The Cannabis Rex will definitely attenuate the high end a bit; the highs will be there but will seem "smoothed out" a bit. The G12H30 is also a bit more efficient but rated a bit lower than the CRex. I really like both of these speakers but I'd probably lean towards the C Rex in a Deluxe.

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Cannibis Rex...for sure....get the highs mod done...I think it's a cap on the volume pot...also, I really like the Weber beamblockers...I use them in all my amps...really smoothes out the highs some...cause Ice Picky is just no good...espiecally Fender highs like that

6. jockman

jockman Member

C-Rex, great speaker, just seems to enhance any amp I have used them in.

7. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

The new cheaper Tone Tubby for $99 sound great in one. Just wait for about 20 hours for the bottom to come in! San Rafael 12"

http://www.tonetubby.com/ts.html

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Don't know about you specific cabinet, but when I tried to put a V30 or G12M in my fender deluxe, there was not enough room without serious cab mods... the new speakers where to deep

9. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I picked up a Deluxe a few months back,it had a POS alnico in it and the guy offered to replace it with a C-rex.It is a great match for a deluxe tames the highs so that treble knob is usefull again,and very efficient at repoducing the bottom end.A C-rex is in each of these-
    [​IMG]

10. 5E3

5E3 Member

I have a DRRI that I have been playing through a G12H30 daily, for about two weeks straight. While it is a BIG improvement over the Jensen C12K, I think it is just a bit too early break-up for me. But as you know, tone is totally subjective.

I've ordered a C-Rex that should be here one day next week. I'm hoping it will give me a little later breakup and bit brighter tones. The jury won't be in for at least a few weeks though, as I wait for the speaker to break-in :rolleyes:

11. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

I have the G12H30 in my DRRI and i like it. It has a big deep bottom end, the highs are smooth and the sound is lush and complex. Sounds great with overdrive pedals.
    I was thinking of the C-Rex as well, but couldn't find one locally at the time.

12. Whamosi

Whamosi Member

I'd have to say Cannibis Rex, they use the same Hemp Cone as Tone Tubbies and man, I love the Tone Tubbies. Or just get a TT ceramic.

13. davess23

davess23 Member

Weber 12F150 is what's in my 72 SFDR. Excellent speaker. I've heard good things about the C-Rex, but no personal experience.

14. mbratch

mbratch Member

I've been playing a 12F150 in my BFDR for awhile. After reading about the CRex I bought one and put it in. It was in for about a day and I put the 12F150 back in and sold the CRex. I just liked the 12F150 better for that classic twang, quack, and tone for the BF Fender.

And I will apologize for this post. I have sometimes asked on the forum "Would you rather have A or B?" and have gotten the "C" answer and been very annoyed since it didn't really answer my question. ;)

15. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

For solid smooth highs, CRex.