1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Cannibus Rex for Rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamison162, Sep 26, 2006.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Emi doesn't list this genre (rock) in their description of these. A lot of their verbage is fairly similiar esp. in the red coat series. These are a little different, yet everyone raves about them. Are they no good for rock tones? Think C30, Orange Rocker 30, and the like.

2. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey jamison162,

I have an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker in my Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe and it definitely voiced for rock & roll. The speaker gives smooth highs with good lows & mids. It definitely tames the Fender's high end. Try one out or the Tone Tubby speakers. Lots of rock musicians using the hemp cone speakers in either their 4x12 cabs or 1x12 combos.

Guitar George

3. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

It is certailnly a great speaker for rock. It is also one of the few new speakers I've tried that does everything equally well. It really is a great design and handles heavy rock with ease and authority.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yep , we've posted this dozens of times. It's the ultimate speaker to me . If I didn't have 30 speakers and selling wasn't such a hassle (When it's not a job!) , I'd probably buy 30 more CR's.

Eric

5. Boogs

Boogs Member

Put it this way - it's never going to sound "British - chimey", so if that is your idea of rock, forget it. It does sound balanced, and articulate, and powerful playing any style of music that I can get my fingers to produce, including rock'n'roll styles.

6. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

sure, why not? i have one in a thiele cab that goes to the open stage with me every week. sounds great with the flexi 50 and the valvetech heads i have. perfect for rock, imho.

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

It does rock, blues, whatever you're up to. Have 2 of these in a Twilighter 260 (same as Magnatone 260). They are making this wonderful amp so much better.

8. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

yes indeed

9. Boogs

Boogs Member

If you get one of these, though, be sure to break it in. Sometimes they can come stiff - the one I bought new took 20 hours of pounding before it blossomed, while others report great tones right out of the box.

10. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

+1 If you are looking for '70's Hard Rock tone, it's not the speaker, I would choose a G12H30 Heritage Celestion..........

Joe

11. Gretschman

Gretschman Member

I have 2 - 212 Cannibus Rex Cabinets myself . I use one cab. mixed with a 210 Ram Rod Blueverb combo unit and one with a Custom Blueverb el34 mullard high gain head . I find them to be very good in both the Blues and Rock music . I usually play a Gibson CS 356 and a PRS 513 .

The speaker is creamy with a nice chucky low end and the highs are very smooth .

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

Carr uses it as the standard speaker now for the Hammerhead line. If that ain't rock...and good enough for rock...I don't know what is.

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Anybody have experience with both this speaker and the V12? Im just about to pull the trigger on the V12 but the C rex speaker description sounds fairly dark and warm also. Thoughts? Application is for my JSX primarily which I find to have a certain "harshness" to the upper mid frequencies through speakers like the G12H-30 and worse the V30.

14. ericb

I use it with hi-gain ENGL tones, modded hi-gain Egnater or Morin-Marshalls, etc. It works for everything. Lo-gain , jazz, rockabilly , classical, blues, fusion, metal, bluegrass, nu-metal, whatever you play into it. AN AMP does NOT MAKE a genre.. A person does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) I like my old Greenbacks too and old G12h30's .. I like MC90's too. I like Classic 80's too. I like PV Scorpians too . I like EV's too.. I like Eminence Wizards and Manowars too.. I like Reverend Alltones. They all are excellent speakers... but they're all different than the Cannabis Rexes which are the most balanced and warm and don't have harsh freq's and you can play any type of music thru them .. Well you can do that with all the others too. PV Scorpians and EV's etc are also very balanced with PV Scorpians having nicer hi-end than the others above, but each has its certain attributes. Some have strengths and weaknesses.. The CR's to me have no weakness really for my styles of playing , and with any cabinet I've put them in , or with any amp I've tried them with , and that's lots. I did blow 1 though , and Eminence replaced it for free. I've only blown 2 other speakers in my life 1 G12m70 and 1 Celestion Blue out of hundreds I've owned, but blowing speakers to me is a fluke.
    ERIC

15. Peppy

Peppy Member

To a point I agree with you. MY point though is that, as an owner and player of a 2 X 12" Hammerhead combo...it's a true rock amp. Hell, I've been playing since 1966 and more importantly, gigging EVERYTHING since 1969, and this amp is straight ahead rock n' roll. Some amps do indeed "make" genres...does the Hammerhead? Not really. A Polytone for jazz though for one example. Of course amps can be used for all types of musical applications but the Hammerhead primarily is a rock machine. My other point about using the Hammerhead as an example though was that if it's good enough for Carr...whom I consider a fine maker of amplifiers...then that speaker choice is "all that".

16. ericb

To me I can play my styles on any amp, but of course some amps are geared more towards 80's metal tones, nu-metal , or rockabilly tones.. As for ROCK , that encompasses tooooooo much to me to make any generalization at all BUT yes of course I know what you were saying! :)

ERIC

17. janek

janek Member

I try to mix Cannabis Rex with V12 but V12 is not broken yet...I`m very curious if anybody tried CR in 4X12.....Now i use CR linked in series with Celestion V30 in one side of Mesa Rectifier cabinet - i`m not sure if i`m doing right....( some frequencies mismatch in series paring...).Cannabis rex isn`t so dark , it has very nice top against Celestion V30....Legend V12 will be propably darker....

18. papersoul

papersoul Member

I know this is an OLD thread but rather than start a new one I thought this best.:p

I am probably looking to grab either pair of Eminence Rex speakers or a mix of Rex/Gov for my THD 212 cabinet. Has anyone tried this mix or are the Rex's best alone? Eminence recommended that mix to me.

I use 50 watt heads. Now, i am picking up a 30 watt head so I am worried hitting two of these speakers (Rex - 50 watts and Governor - 75 watts) will result in a stiffer sound.

I am looking for this cab to be ultra smooth, warm, thick, fat, smoother highs! Maybe a touch dark.

19. papersoul

papersoul Member