1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Cannot believe I am actually asking this ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by josh.rigaud, May 19, 2011.

1. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Never had this issue before in my 10 years of playing haha ...
    Output jack on one of my pedals is loose. The cable kind of sits
    in there hanging loose. Works fine but still ... annoying.
    It is the inside part of the input, I believe the part that holds the
    cable secure on the inside....

Rediculous question I know haha. Just wanted some feedback before I
    fix it in my own way.....

2. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Whats the question then?

3. RBfan

RBfan Member

If the jack itself is loose, just grab a pair of pliers & tighten it. If the 1/4" plug fits loosely in the jack, different problem. I'm having a hard time envisioning this, though...

The cable attached to the jumper is secure right? I mean, may not be the pedal at all...

T

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

is it a new cable? believe it or not, some brands have smaller diameter of 1/4 plugs, resulting in some not secure jacking and even intermittent disconnection of signal.

5. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

Its a regular Goergle L cable with which i never had any issue. I guess what RBfan said describes it best.

It fits loosly into the jack.

6. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Well if it is an open style jack then you could access it from inside the pedal and slightly bend it towards the center so it grabs the cable end better. Might be caused by pulling them out and lifting so over time the center gets bent away...

If it is an enclosed style jack you may be able to do the same but through the outside hole. Get a good light, a long thin flat head screwdriver and catch the prong to lift it back in the center a bit.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

And if that doesn't work, buy a soldering iron and replace the jack (or send it back to the manu to do it for you, but that's not very metal)!

8. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

yea thanks, thats the direction I was going in. Its actually a brand new pedal. Got it last night ....

9. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

haha .. AND I just moved to Brazil so sending it back is out of the questiong lol ....

10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Exactly. He rambles on and on and never asks a question.

11. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

haha yea Yea sorry for that... my 1/4 inch cable seems to be fitting very loosly into to output jack of a JHS little black buffer I got yesterday. I was wondering how to go about fixing it since returning it is no option as I'm now living in Brazil...

12. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

So you're saying when the cable is fully inserted into the pedal, it wiggles around? If it's standard input jack like this:
    [​IMG]
    you might just try bending the contact so that it applies more pressure when the chord is inserted.

13. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Ginobli can fix pedals?

sorry, back to your regularly scheduled program........

14. RBfan

RBfan Member

Slightly bending the contact is probably a good thing to try - cool & helpful pic, btw. I hate to overstate the obvious here... but you'll need to open up the buffer & maybe move stuff around to get to the jack. Make sure it's not powered up while you're doing this.

Just bend a little & try the plug - don't want to break anything, especially since it's so new. If not for the I-moved-to-Brazil thing, I'd say send it back; you might be voiding any warranty protection by opening up the buffer & messing around.

T