Can't believe I'm doing this with my JCM 800

newfiesig

Silver Supporting Member
Click baity title, I know, but it's true. Bare with me.

Ok, so while I have a SC20 and not technically a JCM 800, for practical purposes the main difference here is the loop (which, of course, can be found on JCM 800 reissues).

I LOVE the driven JCM 800 sound on the high input channel. The problem, however, is that it was somewhat limiting. In order to get any type of cleans, set up a platform for fuzz, etc., I have to swap to the low input. And since it's technically a 1 channel amp, this could not be done by foot switch.

After watching this video, it drastically changed my perspective:

Arguably the better sounding "JCM 800 sound" was not even the JCM 800. Subjective, for sure. But I'm sure most would agree that they are very close, at least.

So I not play exclusively on the low input channel. When I want classic high gain tones I step on the BE. When I want modern heavy metal, the Diezel. When I want Muff like fuzz sounds, the JAM Red Muck. When I want clean sounds, I hit the Xotic EP Booster, which sweetens up all clean channels (the JCM 800 clean channel is a little "flat", which makes it an amazing pedal platform).

Nowadays there are a lot of pedals that sound amazing on a clean amp. I actually pulled my OCD from my board; while it's a great OD on an already angry amp, it does nothing for me on clean.

Anyone else do the same?

20220226_215007.jpg

newfiesig

Silver Supporting Member
Strange that the video isn't loading. I just watched it again this morning. It's called "Friedman BE OD Vs JCM 800".

GasBubble

I probably use the lo gain input 80% of the time. With pedals almost always!
Sometimes it’s nice to just play with one cable.....but then I need a tuner, and it doesn’t take batteries.....so the psu comes out....and I daisy chain it.

And I know it could sound better....
So the iso brick comes out....
And because I have a spare outlet or two....more pedals come out.....

And.....
5910BA5B-8DAE-4955-93EE-90CFEF33AC53.jpeg

For a minimum usually I end up with this.....
C2EF845A-16B4-4691-BD1F-5506AA3607C4.jpeg

And just because....
49935130-769C-4B12-9AF3-1FC57A23C19F.jpeg

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not sure the better tone was from the pedal, though. I picked the pedal out from the amp, just from the first pair of demo tones... listening on my iPad.

Not saying it was bad. Just that i was listening for certain things, and pretty immediately heard something to distinguish the two.

Moderato

its the nature of the beast, a JCM800 is made for a driving sound per se, not as a clean platform, if you use the low input however its way lower, as for distortion, than a plexi one, it could make the trick. It depends on your playing: driving the amp with guitar volume knob or using pedals to switch between different distortion sounds.
Regarding the video that amp seems heavily modded, never heard a JCM800 sound so mushy and not articulated.

JackedEagle

I probably use the lo gain input 80% of the time. With pedals almost always!
Sometimes it’s nice to just play with one cable.....but then I need a tuner, and it doesn’t take batteries.....so the psu comes out....and I daisy chain it.

And I know it could sound better....
So the iso brick comes out....
And because I have a spare outlet or two....more pedals come out.....

And.....
View attachment 524370

For a minimum usually I end up with this.....
View attachment 524371

And just because....
View attachment 524372
What Ibanez is that?

griley

Nothing wrong with using the jcm800 low input, that's one of the finest pedal platforms out there.
In find it a bit weird nobody talks about that side of the amp, particularly as Billy Corgan's Siamese Dream tone is so legendary.

newfiesig

Silver Supporting Member
Nothing wrong with using the jcm800 low input, that's one of the finest pedal platforms out there.
In find it a bit weird nobody talks about that side of the amp, particularly as Billy Corgan's Siamese Dream tone is so legendary.
I also found that there was an offending frequency that I had a hard time dialing out. With the BE-OD, I have the same "sound", but not the frequency.

Likely something that can be sorted by different pre-amp tubes, but they are largely out of the equation now.

Also like the "tight" knob.

npappas

I go middle ground with my 800. The gain sound is my favorite amp distortion sound ever (soldano is a close second though), so what I will do is run the amp "crunchy" but not full out distorted. That lets the natural voice of the amp come through so if I want more gain from the amp I'll just toss on a boost or overdrive, and if I want a passable clean tone I just have to lower the input volume a bit, either on the guitar itself or with an eq pedal.

In my experience the low input on the amp doesn't allow the clean channel to get loud enough for playing out with a band, even on the 50W version of the amp. Probably great for bedroom stuff though.

Neil.Fish

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
Don’t be ashamed of the SC20! I’ve had a half dozen JCM800s of all eras and my SC20 sounds as good as any of em! It also has the added value of not weighing 10,000 lbs and and not shattering windows 3 blocks away.

GasBubble

“Still got the old tagger on it! Never even played it” ;)
I played it with that tag on for about a week or two!
It is only the second time I’ve bought a new guitar in my life! Savour the moment! Oh; my tuner still has the screen protector plastic on it.

(The amp still has the hologram tag on it....)

I actually had to stop playing a few weeks back due to no finger tips!
I spent a day practicing slides and earned me a few blisters!
Honestly this guitar is a bit dinged up now because it definitely gets played.....
Like a cross between kurt cobain and an angry punk on a bad hair day.

Neil.Fish

I played it with that tag on for about a week or two!
It is only the second time I’ve bought a new guitar in my life! Savour the moment! Oh; my tuner still has the screen protector plastic on it.

(The amp still has the hologram tag on it....)

I actually had to stop playing a few weeks back due to no finger tips!
I spent a day practicing slides and earned me a few blisters!
Honestly this guitar is a bit dinged up now because it definitely gets played.....
Like a cross between kurt cobain and an angry punk on a bad hair day.
Ha ha brilliant! I sometimes wished I’d taken bet care of some of my favourite guitars. I’m just heavy-handed with gear!

Savour it indeed, she’s a beauty for sure.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom