Can't believe what I'm hearing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 5F6-A, Aug 23, 2019.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Member

I love my new combo amp. Five watts, RCA 6V6GT and Mazda Chrome plates valves, good components and 5F2A circuit minus NFL and solid state rectified. I tried it with a 2 x 12 cabinet with two Celestion speakers (G12T-75 and A type). 12". It sounded really nice.

But....

I played the same amp through a miniscule Jupiter 8SC. 8". It sounds even better!!!!
    Yes, the 2x12" sounds thicker and a bit 'larger' but I really prefer the tone of the 8" and not in a vintage, geeky way. It just sounds better.
    Unbelievable.

Maybe the reason is that the bigger cab can handle 100 watts of power. Five watts is clearly not enough power to get those cones moving.
    If a few years ago anyone had said to me that I'd prefer a single 8" speaker over 2 12"s I'd have laughed. Not now.... WGS/ Jupiter have really hit the nail on the head with this speaker. I'm shocked.

2. LaXu

LaXu Member

Did you match the volume with a decibel meter and put the smaller cab in roughly the same position in relation to your ears? Because otherwise you are not evaluating them accurately and you might prefer the 8" because you turned it louder.

That said I'm curious how a cab with say 4 8" speakers would fare.

davidespinosa likes this.
  3. Shnook

Shnook Member

Everyone hears things differently but I prefer my 8” vintage Tweed Champ over my bigger 18 watt head/2x12 cab setup.

4. 5F6-A

5F6-A Member

The 8" is not louder per se. It has a sensitivity of 95 db. Not highly efficient speaker.
    The 12s are about 97 db. So, in theory, the 12"s must be a bit louder.

Maybe the 8" was better positioned than the 12"s. That was a possibility.

5. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

I have a small 5W Alamo from yesteryear. It has a ribbed 8" speaker. It's a blast to play through, just dime the two knobs and go. I wanted to try it through a 12" speaker that I have in a blues breaker style cab, so I mounted a speaker jack in the chassis. I tried it out with the 12 and switched right back to the 8. It had lost the fire.

5F6-A likes this.
  6. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Nice! Nice tubes you have in there too!

5F6-A likes this.
  7. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Every speaker sounds different.

A small cab has wider dispersion than a big cab.

8. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I’m not surprised. 8 inch speakers can sound really good. But with an amp like the OP’s almost any speaker will sound really good.

I’ve had an original 1960 tweed Champ (8” speaker) for close to 50 years. I’ve run it through all kinds of speaker cabs - 8s, 10s, 12s, 15s, and even pairs of these, and sometimes with impedance mismatches, and it has sounded seriously good through all of them.

5F6-A likes this.
  9. zenas

zenas Member

I don't think it's a wattage thing at all. Ain't like 100 watt cabs actually see 100 watts of power very often or ever these days. They may be plugged into 100 watt amps but that doesn't mean the speakers are seeing 100 watts.
    Also remember that speakers are rated at one watt and guitar speakers all do over 90db at one watt, one meter, most closer to 100db. What's that OSHA number for when you start to need hearing protection again? Oh yeah 85db, IIRC.
    Anyway it really doesn't take much wattage to get a guitar speaker moving, they're really very sensitive.

5F6-A likes this.
  10. 5F6-A

5F6-A Member

Indeed. 50s glass rules.
    Also, in such a simple circuit, quality valves really shine.