1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

can't decide: help me choose a chorus pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by woude, Jan 1, 2006.

1. woude

woude Member

I want to buy a chorus pedal and I'm trying to decide between a retro-sonic chorus ensemble, fulltone choralflange and a analogman clone chorus with deep switch.

>>what I'm looking for: a fat analog chorus, more 70's than 80's sound. I play stratocasters through a koch classictone (40 watts el-34 w. 2x10" alnico speakers)

-I have played the fulltone choralflange and it's the cheapest of the 3 and the most versatile + it has a flanger and it's stereo. I liked it a lot untill I tried an original boss ce-1. Now that's a fat chorus right there!! [​IMG] The fulltone is very nice, but it doesn't have this lower-mid emphasis of the boss ce-1 ...but the boss ce-1 has his shortcomings. That's why I consider the...

-retro-sonic chorus ensemble. No hiss and input volume problems like the original ce-1, smaller, but it's just a one knob chorus... ok it has a nice vibrato too. Seems to be the way to go, but as I'm a little bit of a tweaker, I'm afraid that in the future I want more tweakabilty. Is one knob really enough for some of you?

-analogman clone chorus. Read the reviews and listened to the samples. No flanger or vibrato though, and quite expensive. Deep-switch should give it a fatter sound like the ce-1. Who played both?

Who here had to make a similar choice? What did you choose? Are there other pedals that I should look into?

2. woude

woude Member

never mind, bought the retrosonic. Choralflange is just too hifi sounding and the analogman is too expensive for what it is imho. I'm going to try the new ehx small clone with true bypass and see if I like it.

I bought a fulltone 10th anniversary fulldrive too. Can't wait!

3. dave s

dave s Member

You'll dig the RS Chorus Ensemble. The knob on the far right is an 'input level' knob which has a 'unity gain' spot that you'll probably keep it at. This means no volume increase or decrease when you activate the chorus side of the pedal.

the next knob in from the right is the amount of effect. I keep this pretty low (around 10:00 - 11:00) and its still plenty of thick, lush chorus.

You'll find yourself tweaking the OTHER side (vibrato) of the pedal more frequently than the 'set-it-and-forget-it' chorus side. The chorus side does what it does and very well.

Be sure to post a review AFTER you've played with your bandmates or done a couple of gigs with the pedal.

dave

4. woude

woude Member

Ok, I'll post a review AFTER I played with the band a few times. Do you use the vibrato side a lot?

5. sh333

sh333 Supporting Member

Pretty sure you will love the Retro-sonic. I love it. Everything I always hated about Vintage CE-1's has been corrected.

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

homebrew electronics 3 hound chorus. Best one I've used.

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/products.htm

List I've had:

Voodoo Labs
    Arion (should kept that, doh!)
    Boss (both models)
    Rocktron Tsunami

Only one i like as much is the TC Chorus, but that's way to pricey for my taste.

7. sh333

sh333 Supporting Member

I dig the TC alot also, but it really doesn't have the warmth of the Retrosonic pedal. There is nothing crisper or cleaner than the TC though IMHO.

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I felt this way as well until I got a DLS Chorus-Vib. It does the TC thang just perfectly IMO as well as the lush/analogish Chorus that I used to have a Clone Chorus for. TC could never to that.

Oh yeah, the DLS is TB as well, and less money than the TC too.

Just my $.02.

9. sh333

sh333 Supporting Member

Cool, I will try to check one out some time.

10. woude

woude Member

That DLS unit sounds interesting too. If it turns out that I don't like the retrosonic... I have another option.

11. dave s

dave s Member

Yeah, the vibe side gets some play ... probably 3-4 times a night. It does (as advertised) a near leslie sounding tone. It'll do stuff like the leslie guitar solo in the Beatles song "Something." I also use it on a Toad The Wet Sprocket Song (All I Want) and a few others. The rate control on the vibe side works wonderfully.

Again, I really think you'll dig that pedal. The initial price is a bit tough to swallow, but I feel it represented a good value in a pedal.

Enjoy,

dave

12. woude

woude Member

I *really* can't wait now :dude I'was listening to the Joe Bonamassa live cd and he also has this vibrato-leslie tone sometimes, it's less chewy than a univibe type vibrato. I know he uses another unit for it, but the retrosonic does sort of the same according to the samples... really inspirational sound. :cool: