cant find a ghetto stomp. cant find a honey bee. what else??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by minorseventh, May 1, 2008.

1. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

yeah so im looking for a valco tone. spitty, farty, snarly... old Pat Hare amp-about-to-melt sound.
    my research indicate that the ghetto stomp is perfect for this, but they are nowhere to be found. the honey bee is probably a little tamer, and even harder to find and honestly I am not going to spend 400 bucks on a dirt box. (no offense to any that did/want to)

i have a liquid sunshine, and its nice, but not nearly rude enough. i also have an old Alamo with 6v6's in it, and that NAILS the sound, but I cant play it at home.
    I had considered the Crazy Horse, but my fears are that it might color the tone too much, and Im not so much looking for a fuzz tone. also an everman lo-fi filter might help in achieving that 50's tone, but part of that valco/supro/silvertone sound is the loose bottom end that seems to chug alongside the overdriven mids, and I dont think the lofi will do it.

so... Im out of ideas. any suggestions??!

2. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Maybe the Skreddy Screwdriver?

3. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Contact Nick Greer at dagreers@surfsouth.com and he WILL help you get your hands on a Ghetto Stomp.

It's worth whatever it takes to get one. THEY ARE KILLER AND YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED. They sound like a freakin' amp in a box.

Digby

4. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Save up and get the Bee. It's what you are looking for.

5. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

good idea! just emailed him

6. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Persistence will be rewarded! Picked up my Ghetto Stomp this morning at the Post Office. Really does remind me of an old Valco amp. Loose bottom and dirty mids abound in this box. Hope to get to play it some more later tonight. Good luck on your search!

7. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

nick greer emailed me back within 10 minutes... he has none but he did give me a line on one.. so im keeping my fingers crossed.

loose bottom and dirty mids.... now thats what im talking about!

8. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Was using a humbucker guitar earler today - must try it with a Tele tonight.

9. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I've seen used Ghetto Stomps up for auction on e-bay fairly often. They seem to go for around $100 or so.

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

all good suggestions, also might consider - DAM Sonic Titan, Menatone Dirty Blonde, OLC Supreaux ... what amp/speakers are you using ??

11. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

yes i was actually considering the dirty blonde, but also hard to find!
    i actually have an OLC Supreaux sitting here unassembled. im afraid of it. small parts. gorilla fingers. hot iron...

i am using primarily a JVM head and 2x12 with V30s, and at home a superchamp xd (clean channel with pedals). neither one make sense considering that Ive been chasing down this tone for a long time!

12. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Logged about 20 minutes on the Tele here before dinner and Ghetto responds well to pick attack and volume control variance. Like it better with single coils. Very cool!

13. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I have tried some of the valco amp tone type pedals (honey bee, ghetto stomp, crazy horse), and I am a big harmony guitar and amp fan. My favorite pedal for that kind of tone is the RGW Dirty Dan (now known as the tonefactor/ mojo hand Mule). It has a fat, loose bottom and gritty grind to it. I use it with my harmony H19, H44, tele, and a deluxe reverb and harmony 1484 amp. It sounds very nice.

14. amphead777

amphead777 Member

15. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Actually I'm out at the moment.

16. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

thats me emailing you btw

17. amphead777

amphead777 Member

18. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Throbak Overdrive Boost. You can get that amp on fire sound plus the 150 other tones the thing gets, including a Meathead (D.A.M.) kind of sound that I just found a few minutes ago. I'm playing through mine as I type this with one hand.

19. cholula69

cholula69 Supporting Member

I would save for a Honey Bee, they are great pedals and you can order direct from Custom-Sounds. If not, check out the Fix My Duck from Mark Stephenson at Stephenson amps. I think they are around 125 US and that is a very versatile pedal.

20. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

No worries :)