Can't find an overdriven sound I like

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gibfenderson, May 8, 2008.

1. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

I play a ES 339 through a Fender Pro Tube Concert Reverb. I get beautiful cleans I just love. Problem is I have never found a slighty overdriven lead tone I like. It has a gain channel that I don't find exciting. I have tried several pedals to no avail.

General questions -

do I need another amp? Thinking about a Rivera

Am I missing something in dialing in my tones?

It is a matter of volume- do I really have to crank it to get decent overdrive?

Thanks

2. voxer

voxer Member

Gabriel Voxer 18. All the varied OD tones you could ever want.

3. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

First, try to crank up the beast and see if it sounds better with ODs.

I think that blackface-type fenders do not take gain pedals as good as vox/marshall/tweed amps. Especially when played clean.

4. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

What flavor of speakers does it have in it? Some of the stock speakers that fender uses are pretty crappy and will sound OK clean but harsh with distortion.

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I would start with players whose tone I do like and figure out what stuff they are using, then go from there. Good luck

6. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

+1 on the speaker.

7. strings

strings Member

I'm assuming the Concert will not do that to your satisfaction or is too loud. Try some smaller non master tube amps cranked up to the level of overdrive you want. My Pro Jr. had great creamy overdrive when cranked. While I prefer non master volume amps my Nephew's Blues Jr. can walk that line nicely though not as well as the Pro Jr. There are so many choices out there today-clones, reissues, small amp makers.....

I searched for years for the musical edge of overdrive sound there is NO substitute for the right amp for you cranked to the sweet spot. :cool:

8. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

4x10 special Eminance speakers / 60 watt amp - the volume at 5 is way too loud for any gig. It doesn't break up at all at 5. It has a 1/4 power switch but is sucks the highs and tremelo right out of the sound.

+++ big cab lush rich cleans
    sounds good with any guitar

--- that's all I can get out of it.
    heavy 85 lb.

Sounds like I need to start my search for second good tube amp that can handle clean and moderate gain. Moderate gain - Allman Bros, Stones, etc.

Thanks for the info, suggestions appreciated.

9. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I have yet to play a 10" speaker that I liked distorted.

10. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

There are so many 10'ers out there that will sound better distorted than what you have in there. Here is a short list of some that I have played and others that supposedly sound great. Weber (many models), Jensen Neo, Eminence (many better speakers than their Fender OEM models), Tone Tubby, Scumback, WGS etc.
    I wouldn't give up on that amp for distorted tones yet. Try hooking it up to some good cabs to hear what I mean.

11. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I think you've gotten some great replies. How many OD pedals and which ones have you tried? What sound are you looking for? There's so much available, that you should be able to find just about anything that you're looking for.

So here's my answer in THREE parts:

1) As to gain pedals, try a Keeley modified Blues Driver for slight breakup tones and a Zendrive for over the top and Dumble type overdrive.

2) As to the question of do you need another amp. . .Of course you do. That's what the gear page is for. Keep the one you've got until it doesn't work for you anymore and get another amp of two.

3) As to the person who mentioned a Voxer. . .I've got one, and it sounds incredible. However, it also sounds great when hit with a good pedal. . .Like a Keeley Compressor, with the "L" cranked wide open. It makes the amp SCREAM!

So, there. . .world-sized problem solved in one post. :BEER

Next! :cool:

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hmm... once you're on the fender clean side of things, its hard to listen to anything else, so there should be that pedigree in your next amp.

also, from your influences, seems like something only marshally will do. IME, a carr slant 6v, bogner shiva, or even a big ol' CAD OD100 would work.

but frankly, IME, alot of two channel amps just have so-so clean channels, and usually its the first channel to suffer.

13. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

Also, here is a good resource to check out how all of the Eminence speakers sound clean, overdriven and distorted. This might give you a better idea what you are looking for.
    http://www.eminence.com/soundclips.asp

14. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

Thanks for the advise. I tried various pedals- tube screamers, barber Silver , Liquid sunshine ,etc. have not found what I looking for or any wow sound.

The way I am leaning-

Keep the Concert Reverb as is - i like the cleans so much but-

Time for a second amp- the search begins.

15. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Check out 65 Amps Soho (any configuration). It is EF86/EL84 and with all its controls you can dial in convincing Fender Blackfaceish, Voxish and Marshallish (as well as its own sound). The 20W gets plenty loud, and it has definitely the best mastervolume I've tried so you get GOOD sound at homefriendly volumes too. Takes pedals really well (has no effects loop). I do think they have a 40w version as well.

16. jspax7

jspax7 Member

You mentioned slightly overdriven tones. Any of the Dumble inspired amps I've played do those transitional tones better than any other amp I've played. You owe it to yourself to plug that 339 into one.

17. Unabender

Unabender Member

You can throw money at the overdrive quest, but I suggest you should really think hard what kind of sounds you want.

18. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

A place to start. What would be some dumble inspired amps?

19. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Fuchs for starters.

A 339 into an ODS would be :drool:drool

20. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

If you haven't tried a Analogman "King of Tone" you are really missing out. This pedal was made specifically for Fender blackface style amps and made for light overdrive. Until you try this I wouldn't buy another amp.