Can't find my perfect guitar blues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MikeVB, Feb 17, 2012.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I recently got a Historic LP Goldtop, but I'm not crazy about the balance and huge neck. But I love the fretboard to death, easiest thing I've ever played leads on in my life.

Had an SG that played fairly similar but that particular one was neck-heavy as hell compared to the LP which is butt-heavy.

My #1 is a parts tele with a neck from a very tgp-famous builder. It feels great on rhythm, comps, dbl-stops, etc. but just doesn't compare to a well set up Gibson fretboard ime for true rock and roll lead and solo playing. It's a 9.5 I think, but still gives me the buzzes on some high-end bends with fairly high action. Just not smooth like the LP. But the guitar is light, perfectly balanced, and the back of the neck feels perfect (rounded D or slight C I'd guess).

I know PRS's are sort of in-between Fender and Gibson boards and tones, right? But the ones I've played in stores had that wide-fat neck which felt just horrible in my hand. Do they all have that neck shape?

Hard to find that one guitar that just fits my hands, body, ears, and heart so well that I don't want to play a different style. One guitar for all songs at all gigs. Strap it on to start soundcheck and don't take it off until load-out.

2. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

[​IMG]

All the PRS' I've played have what I'd call a "wide" feel to the neck, that seems pretty standard to me (PRS players feel free to chime in if you know differently, I'm just going on what I've experienced too).

My #1 is a '56 Relic which definitely isn't best-suited for all types of music, but it gets the job done. Maybe I'm a "strat guy" as well, it just fits me for some reason (I guess it's that ergonomic stuff you referenced in your last paragraph). To me, there's a certain "art" (I guess that's the right word?) for having to make due with what I've got. Kind of forces me to get a little creative tone-wise sometimes.

No offense intended with the photo above, just been a few "pretty princess" references afloat lately, found that one and couldn't resist. :)

Cheers.

3. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Try a PRS DGT! Narrower neck than the PRS widefat, it is narrower But still has some decent girth to it. It can easily cop Fender and Gibson tones while doing its on thing at the same time.

4. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

Yes, you need to try a DGT. From your description of needs, it would be a great fit for you. I also have problems with the ergonomics of Les Pauls and SGs. But I love my DGT. And there isn't a more versatile guitar on the planet. Try one, you won't be disappointed.

5. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I know a tgp member a couple counties over that just got one. Maybe I'll go see if I can feel his neck.:omg

Those aren't available in singlecut bodies are they? Just curious.

6. Honk

Honk Member

From your preferences, I wonder if you'd like the LP/Tele mashup of a Bluesmaster? This may be transference, though, as I'd love to try one myself.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. prkaye

prkaye Member

I had a PRS CE-24 Bolt-On for about 12 years, which I just recently sold. I loved the neck on it - it was certainly neither wide no fat. A LP neck is like a tree-trunk compared that PRS. It also had more of a satin finish which was smoother to my hands and easier to move around on. It was a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. I sold for it for 1k, but part of me feels I'll end up regretting that. One day I may get another PRS, but it would be stoptail model. I honestly wasn't crazy about the PRS floating trem.

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

No offense taken, and I realize this is a 1st World problem.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

10. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

No, They would'nt be a DGT then.

Go play a DGT and you will forget all other guitars.

11. lshines

lshines Member

re DGT in single cut: oh, how I wish it were! same specs, just PLEASE PAUL, a single cut body. Or, hell, even a tele style body.... Y'all all write PRS and ask for it!
    gnarly

12. lshines

lshines Member

The new PRS standard is the "Pattern" neck - and tho' I started my PRS appreciation on WF the Pattern is a delight to play! Try one!