Cant say enough about this Keeley BD-2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drneely, Sep 9, 2008.

1. drneely

drneely Member

seriously this thing kicks so much a$$. it really is the boost/drive i was always looking for that a tubescreamer never gave me. i love tubescreamers for what they are and will always have one on my board, but this BD 2 is something that you really need to try. i have tried many different pedals and this one does it for me. compared to a TS type pedal its a good bit more transparent due to less mid boost. it adds just enough for me with all knobs at 11 o'clock and ill kick in a cae/mxr clean boost if i want just a little more. for all you mayer tone freaks this one is the closest thing ive heard and i know he uses one and will kick in the keeley kantana clean boost in front of it for a little more so very similar. anyway just wanted to share my own thoughts, i can comment on the unmodified version i just know that Mr. Keeley knows what he is doing obviously and i couldnt be happier with this product, give it a try.

2. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

I've had a Keeley BD-2 on my board for several years; it and a Small Fry give me all I need.

3. pattste

pattste Member

The Keeley BD-2 was the winner of my personal mini OD shootout, which included other acclaimed pedals like the OCD, Xotic AC and Barber LTD. It is the only pedal that I use right now.

4. MojoFilter

MojoFilter Member

A Keeley BD-2 has been on my board since I've bought it. No other pedal I've found is as good doing low-gain "edge of breakup" sounds with the amps that I've used.

It's a fantastic pedal.

5. CitizenAudio

CitizenAudio Member

I love mine. It was the first pedal I decided to get after much debate about whether I should go rack or stomp boxes.

6. drneely

drneely Member

interesting this pedal doesn't come up in posts more often especially bein $149 brand new

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Great pedal, but the Timmy, LTD/SR and stock Boss OD-3 beats it out for me.

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I've always wanted to try one, but I think my Timmy might have me covered. Anyone compared the two?

But I'm sure The Edge uses one for a reason!

9. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

it's funny, I had a Keeley BD-2 when I first started my OD search. Through my Fender Twin, I didn't like it so much. I've gone round and round GAS'ing over various OD pedals (BBE Green Screamer, Fulldrive 2 MOSFET, Rodenberg GAS 828, Boss SD-1, Keeley TS-9 Baked Mod) and still have not found the one that does it for me. Since then, I've picked up a Blues Junior that I use for home/small gigs and this amp is pretty middy by nature. For grins, I tested out a Keeley BD-2 through it the other day and VIOLA...the tone I was searching for. The Keeley BD-2 is very transparent and has a great amount of gain. On my way this afternoon to trade in a bunch of gear to pick up a new one.

10. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

I'm dying to get my hands on one!!! I've been trying to trade off a pedal (won't mention it as I might get in trouble as I haven't upgraded my membership yet) for it but no luck as of yet.
    I saw the demo of this on Proguitarshop.com and immediatley wanted one.
    It sounded great on HB's and SC's which is what I'm after.

11. mattoo31287

mattoo31287 Member

Great pedal, I just added one to my board a few weeks ago :)

12. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

This was my 2nd pedal, the 1st being the Keeley TS9. But the Keeley BD2 is the one still on my board. I like mine with level at 12:00, gain at 9:00, and tone rolled of a bit at 11:00. With guitar volume rolled back a notch, the BD2 acts as a clean boost. With guitar volume full up, I get a little hair from the pedal. I find this much more versatile than the TS9, which always sounds like a TS9.

13. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Interesting. I had one a few years ago and played it through a Dr Z Z28. Didn't care for it that much. But now I have a vox clone (hayseed) and think the BD2 would be a good match for it. Maybe I'll order one again.
    :munch

14. Felixun1

Felixun1 Supporting Member

I'm on my 3rd Keeley BD2 now, and I will never part with this one. Have tried many of the others mentioned here and always come back to the BD2 for my base sound with my strat. Van Zandt pickups absolutely sing with this pedal. Add a little crunch box (or any of many other pedals) for a little high gain or boost, and you're covered.

15. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I have an unmodded BD-2 and it works basically just like you're describing, so I never saw a reason to have it modded. I keep the level up, the gain down, and the tone either centered or to the left a little depending on the guitar I'm playing. Works excellent as a clean boost into my amp for leads.

Bob Arbogast likes this.
  16. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

If you are happy with it now, then you will be blown away by what Keeley does to this pedal. Myself, I just could not bond with the stock one so well, and felt the usefull tones were limited to low gain applications only, but when I sent mine to Keeley I was absolutely amazed at the transformation of this pedal. Now it has more bottom when needed, as well as a drive range that remains usefull for the entire range, as a bonus the "ice pick" was gone too.
    The Keeley BD2 is one of the best OD/boost pedals out there, is tonaly very versatile, and has remained on my main pedalboard for the last five years. Many have come and gone, but the KBD2 remains.

17. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I concur. Still the most transperent OD I have had.

18. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

amazing pedal...I have the ocd and fd2...doesn't beat it in my book for overall but definitely a great pedal!