Can't see the LED on my SPP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stevoreen, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I have a Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso (which will never leave my board) but I can only see if the LED is on if I put my head directly over the pedal. When standing back playing, it always appears to be off.

Can LED's be replaced easily or am I better off just running it through a looper?

2. bduguay

bduguay Member

LED's can be replaced easily, yes. The inherent problem with LED's is that, unlike an incandescent bulb, an LED is very directional. For example if you were to remove a lighted LED from it's bezel and look at it from the side, it's light intensity is not as strong as it is looking directly down on the top of it. Conversly a light bulb is equally intense from all angles.
    LED's come in a variety of millicandle (light measurement) readings which could solve your problem. Changing the bezel to one that is more shallow would help too.
    I'm curious to see what type of bezel Catalin Bread uses.
    B.

3. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

Mine has like a metal ring around it and the LED seems to be down inside of the pedal. Or maybe the metal ring just prevents it from being viewed at an angle. I'd like to swap the LED out with something else if possible.

[​IMG]

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My SPP is exactly the same, and I don't have a problem viewing the LED! Are you playing in a bright room or sunlight, or what?

5. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

No, usually on a dimly lit stage. I can't tell it's on unless I look directly over the light. Now, I'm wondering if maybe the LED has fallen down into the pedal itself. ???

6. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Some LED's have a narrower viewing angle. I hear this can be remedied by lightly sanding the dome of the LED casing. Makes it diffused.

7. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I tried that tonight, but that seemed to make it even duller. I'm going to go ahead and try replacing it with a brighter LED and see how that works.

Thanks for everyone's help.

8. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

If you need a replacement LED or for me to fix it up just yell.

9. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

Thanks. It's a great pedal. My tone is thin without it.

10. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Take the LED out for good and you will be able to run the SPP off of a battery for a few years... If your tone is thin without it's obvious if it is not on!?!? :p

11. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

Catalinbread,
    I sent you a PM inquiring about LED specs. Thanks.