1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can't seem to bond with vibe...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TooManyHobbies, Feb 16, 2009.

1. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Tried a few vibe pedals in the past, and thought what I was missing was a GOOD one. So I got a MojoVibe. It's great.. 10/10. I can play pink floyd's breathe for hours. And that's it. Can't seem to bond with it with any dirt (I've tried it both before and after dirt pedals also)... and for clean, well.. I find that the effect is best used sparingly. With dirt, I think that I prefer the true leslie type tones and the analogman chorus does that great with dirt.

Am I missing something? I'm not someone who has bonded with phasers much either.

2. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I've never been a phase guy either, but I love a good vibe. I think there are just some effects out there that some people don't like. For me, I can't really get into the phaser/flanger type of sounds- I'm not sure why, I just can't. If I were you, I would just stick with the chorus and be happy you can find something you like.

3. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Interesting. How do you use the vibe? Besides the "machine gun" and bridge of sighs, and breathe references, I don't know other tasteful use.

I should explain more. Maybe I'm using it wrong? People seem to use them a lot, but I am only finding limited uses.

4. In Tune

In Tune Member

Try giving it a BIG HUG. What have you got to lose?

5. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I don't really play a lot of covers, so if you're looking for a list of songs that use the effect, I really can't help you. I personally like it for a little bit of extra flavor on riff-based songs (like "Bridge of Sighs"), and when I'm just messing around with lead (I like it before my dirt). There seems to be something about the sound that I find appealing for some reason- I really don't know how else to explain it. It sounds like you've given it a fair shake- tried it clean, before dirt, after dirt, etc. It may just be that the sound is not something that you find aesthetically pleasing outside of the conventional covers that utilize the effect.

6. d-b

d-b Member

:dunnoYeah man you are so not a vibe guy!!!

sell it to me:banana

7. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Well for example, is it best used with lower or higher intensity for lead and rhythm? And speed?

Oh, and I don't care about mainstream, if people can refernce some of their own stuff that uses it, anything would be helpful.

8. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

i love the sound it but i need one that i could dial out the retarded cyclic lump lump sound... i end up using a light 4 stage positive phaser instead...

9. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Sounds like you need a Luna Vibe!

I went through the Aqua and Uber vibes before I stopped on the Luna. It's my favorite so far, and has a unique sound.

10. somedude

somedude Member

I think that with vibe it's easy to get caught up in having the intensity maxed so that that you can clearly hear the throb, but there's plenty of coolness in the lower intensity, subtle movement range that doesn't interfere quite so much with your playing.

If you think of it like a tremolo... yeah, you can have it set up so it chops hard and is in your face, but the best results are usually when it's dialed right back so it provides a very subtle modulation effect. A vibe can be the same... dial it back so that it's intensity is so subtle that you kinda forget that it's on, but your tone feels flatter when you turn it off.

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Maybe you want to check out a Red Witch Moon Phase?

To me, it blurs the line between phasing and vibe, and excels at adding texture in a very subtle way. Early Rush comes to mind. Some Zeppelin. Just adding some depth and motion without beating you over the head with WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP or SwwwOOOOSSsshhhh sounds.

-Ben

12. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I recommend the Dano Chicken Salad. You get all that lush Vibe for $29, cant be beat. Ramp up the the speed control and get you some "how soon is now".

13. erksin

erksin Member

I've tried a few vibes and haven't gotten on with them either. I don't like most phasers for that matter. If I use modulation at all, its tremolo or pitch-shifting vibrato/Leslie type stuff.

14. dancehall

dancehall Member

you mean the tuna melt trem, surely?

15. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I prefer using the vibe on more subtle settings (I use it before dirt- it seems to make the effect blend in with the sound a little better and not sound overly pronounced) with the speed going pretty slow. For lead, I don't adjust anything- I just hit the boost and play away. To me, a vibe sounds best when used on a slow, subtle setting with a slow, bluesy backbeat (the way Trower often uses it).

16. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

:agree:agree

I get what you're saying - I set the intensity to low and volume high - more subtle setting seems to work for me on my SFDR.

17. muffinman

muffinman Member

I'm with you OP. I share your sentiments regarding the 'stuck' feeling, esp. comments re: before/after dirt.

My problem is compounded in that I fell in love with 2-stage phasers (first an original grey DOD 201, then a ToneFactor/Mojo Hand Nebula) and that's been IT for me for 3+ years. I got an Aquavibe in July 2008, mainly because I'd been waiting for Foxrox to make a stand-alone since 2005, convinced it would be the final IT for swirl. But it's been 7 months and I still prefer the Nebula 80% of the time -- it still inspires.

18. steveb

steveb Member

Most of the time, medium to almost full intensity, medium speed.
    Listen to "Arrows" from the Steve Boutte site, & "Try Harder" from the Suns of the Void site in my signature. For "Try Harder", I'm panned left most of the time.

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Have you tried putting it before dirt? Also, there is the vintage/modern switch that can help a lot.

I have a lot of vibes, love playing with them, and get a lot of fun out of them, but it CAN be hard to get them worked into a band mix. I personally think the most vibes I hear and love are often three man, guitar heavy bands...but that is where you really HEAR the vibe..

Other ways to use are sparingly and set subtly...they can add an undercurrent of extra sparkle, or swish...don't forget to try vibrato also, which really has so be subtle....

It might just be they aren't for you, but they can be really fun, and like I say, using them so subtly set (intensity or depth set so you barely hear it) that a listener won't know what exactly is going on, but likes it.

I like to do that, and also like to set it over-the-top...

20. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Have you ever considered that a vibe simply doesn't fit your style of playing?

I had the same problem: I would play "Breath", then some Hendrix stuff, then sit there staring at the pedal. It sounds great but I had to make a conscious effort to use it and play stuff I don't normally play.

Yes, I tried many from the cheap Dano CS to the $$ Mojovibe but the pedal just doesn't fit my style. I sold them all and haven't looked back (kind of like my experience with the many wah pedals I have used/owned).

TG