Cap Can Recommendations for 1966 Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by js54, Feb 8, 2015.

1. js54

js54 Member

2. zenas

zenas Member

That's the one I used in my 64 PR. Fits right in but you need a bigass soldering iron I found a 200 watter in a thrift store that makes cap cans fun. (ok almost fun)

Tone ? That amp sounded great exept for a farty speaker. Turns out there was nothing farty about the speaker at all just weak electrolytics.

3. zenas

zenas Member

4. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

I replaced my PR's cap can with a 30/20/20/20 CE can. No complaints.

5. PushedGlass

PushedGlass Member

That's exactly the same can cap I put in my '78 PR - ordered it here. I also got a clamp for it in lieu of trying to solder it directly to the chassis - something that I'm sure was expedient for Fender at the time. It's working fine. I really need to start a "coming out" thread for it now that it's all together as a head conversion.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

So folks have good luck with the CE cans? On the Hammond forums their reputation is not so good, though I've had no troubles with the few I've used.

7. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I've put in 4 of them and had 1 go bad.

8. js54

js54 Member

Thanks for all the input so far!

Is there another manufacturer making this type of Cap Can? I've yet to find one in my searches.

9. EFK

EFK Supporting Member

I've used HUGE numbers of these. Have had no problems at all, but I'm respectful of the power ratings (taking switch-on voltage rise into consideration also) and don't push them to the edge of their limits.

10. zenas

zenas Member

Far as I know every other multi cap will mean drilling the chassis for a clamp or you can put single caps inside. On a vintage Fender I won't do that. I want to keep it as close to stock as possible but at the same time it needs to work right and not shock people.
    So far the CEs I've used are still working fine.

I really don'tthink any electrolytic made today will still be weak but working 50, 60 years from now like the ones made in the 50s and 60s. Electrolytics started to get worse in the 70s if that trend continued I don't expect new E-caps to last much over 10 years.
    Kind of like new tubes vs NOS. (forget NOS electrolytics those are for suckers)

11. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

12. EFK

EFK Supporting Member

That's also a very valid approach but extremely time consuming and - being that those are also "new" electrolytics - I don't see how they're any 'good' erer than what CEDist is making.

Frankly, I think much of the bashing to which new electrolytics are subjected is simply b.s. Sure, some might fail. I've seen the vaunted all-holy Sprague Atoms fail. I've seen golden n.o.s tubes fail. Nothing made by humans is perfect. Just sayin! When I say I've used a lot of CEDist can caps, I'm not talking 5 or 10. I mean, I've used a LOT and continue to use them if not daily then at least weekly. Have not had any problems yet, other than feeling pretty pissed that they changed the original form factor of the 20/10/10 for all those Valcos fairly recently with no apparent reason for doing so.

13. zenas

zenas Member

I've done the restuff the cap can thing on odd ball stuff. Normally it's some old thing like a Kay or a Newcomb I get roped into fixing for a friend or a new found friend who see me wearing a Weber speaker's tshirt. (need to stop wearing those things)

Really I don't know if today's electrolytic are better or worse than the ones made back in the day. Only time will tell that. So far so good.

14. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I love those JJ multi-caps if you don't care about it being blue instead of metal covered.

15. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Either the JJ or the CE can failed on me... on a new build. What a nightmare .. took forever to figure out what the issue was. Unfortunately I cant remember which it was.. the cheaper one.. JJ? would never use another one.