Cap job questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by squeally dan, Apr 24, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

My 72 deluxe reverb started making some funky noises 2 nights ago. My tech got a hold of it, but can't get it to do the same thing. It is now working without problems. I don't want it to screw up in the middle of a gig. He suggested a "cap job" and is cahrging $150. Is that a fair price? Also, he said if I had any future problems out of this amp, he would fix for no charge. I thought that was cool.

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

If you have the dough, get the cap job. Electrolytics need to be replaceed every 10-15 years as regular maintenance for tube amps. SS amps too for that matter.

You're getting a great deal if he holds true to further bench work for nothing. $150 is $55-$60 to look inside, $20 or less for parts, and the rest is for his time and labor.

3. Dave

Dave Member

Really? :eek:

That doesn't seem like a very long time. Are you saying it should be done even if the amp is still performing well?

4. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

Unless you want the amp as a collector's piece (which you don't - judging from your post), I would say yes.

If possible, keep the original electrolytic caps and whatever else is replaced, just so you still have them in case you ever decide to sell your amp to someone who wants it 100% original.

5. Dave

Dave Member

Well, this is good to know, thanks guys.

I've always just waited until there's an obvious problem. Not too smart I guess.:eek:

6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Have them put in Spragues

7. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Why?

8. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Are those the best capacitors?

9. riker4208

riker4208 Member

If it sounds good don't $#@$ with it is my motto. That being said, it sounds like you are having problems. I'd have em check tubes first and go from there.

10. AL30

AL30 Member

Everyone has their opinions on the best caps. Sprague Atoms are very popular (or were) for cap jobs. I've used them several times and have no complaints on their performance. But recently the prices have just gotten ridiculous. It's not worth it to me at this point. I'll happily use something else - Illinois, F&T, etc.

AL

11. hitchcaster

hitchcaster Member

F & T's might be better..... illinois not so much...

12. mbratch

mbratch Member

If you bought your own good quality electrolytics you'd pay a lot more than $20 just for the parts. Probably more than $40 if you replace all the electrolytics.