1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Cap Polarity

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by devbro, Sep 22, 2006.

1. devbro

devbro Member

I just got my bias supply cap from Hoffman and I can't determine the polarity. It's a Xicon brand and one side is silver foil and the other is black paper with a dot. Which is positive?

[​IMG]

I seem to remember reading something about this..............:jo

2. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

The black (insulated) end is Positive + and the silver end goes to ground. If you'll notice the lead for the ground goes right to the body of the cap.

3. brad347

brad347 Member

you will notice that there are little arrows with a minus sign inside them. They point to the negative lead.

American caps generally have the + lead marked. Imported caps usually have the - lead marked.

Also, the end with the 'ridge' near it is usually the positive side.

4. devbro

devbro Member

Bingo...!
    You guys rock....:AOK

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

If that cap is going into the bias supply, the positive (notched) end of the cap connects to ground. The bias supply puts out a negative voltage and the cap will likely explode if it's installed backwards.

6. devbro

devbro Member

Well.......it worked and no fireworks but I didn't really notice any reduction in hum like l was hoping for............Anyone know where to get a clear legible schematic for a Bassman 6G6-B? Every one that I've seen is so blurry I can't read the values. I even bought Dave Funk's book because supposedly, the schematics were "computer enhanced" :BITCH

7. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

8. devbro

devbro Member

Thanks Dave. Yup, it's the same blurry version schematic everyone has. Maybe Fender sells clean copies.