Capacitor type question - help please

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by scottl, May 19, 2004.

1. scottl

scottl Member

Hi,

I am experimenting with capacitor types in the preamp of one of my amps.

What difference in tone would one expect from switching between Orange Drop 715P (what is standard equipment), Orange Drop 716P (supposedly less "HiFi") , Xicon Polyprops, Xixon Metal Film, and Solen Fast.

I want the least bright and Hifi caps possible.

I am intrigued that the cap tyoe can make a big difference, especially when there are about 5 of them in a row.

Thanks for helping.

Scott

2. V846

V846 Member

Scott,

Best thing is to try different caps and find what you like in your amp.
    However if your looking for "less brite" perhaps a mylar film/foil cap would work for you, also Angela tin caps sound pretty good or the Sozo caps which are mylar.

David

3. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I would give Mallory 150s a try, I definately like them better than the 715P. Most describe them as more musical sounding. Some describe them as warmer than the 715P though I don't really notice it. I do find them more focused in the bottom end. I find the 715Ps can get a little woofy.

If they work out, let me know, I might do the swap as well. :D

4. V846

V846 Member

Yeah the 150's sound good and less boomy or woofy that 715's.
    The Russian PIO caps sound good to but it depends on what amp your putting them in, I really like the Sozo's in a Marshall circuit as they sound clearer with more detail than the 150's.

David

5. scottl

scottl Member

Tomorrow is the big day! I have several brands of caps coming! Big experimentation in the future :)

6. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Note: Caps are somewhat like speakers they break in, so they can be harsh in the beginning. The change isn't as dramatic but still noticeable.

7. scottl

scottl Member

Ok... Xicon caps in! The yellow square ones (MEB)

WOW WOW WOW

Great stuff. Not worth bothering Andy with an upgrade, but if you are handy with the iron, I recommend the change!!! Smooth and creamy tones! 10 minutes to change and so easy :)

Scott

8. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Scott-

You're on a slippery slope. Don't you know that capacitors are "gateway" mods? Pretty soon it will be resistors, and before you know it you'll be building amps. You'll say, "oh I'm just building the 5e3 clone - I can stop anytime". Next thing you know you're building *umble clones........

Have fun!

Steve

9. Neal K

Neal K Member

Yes indeed this can become a very slippery slope. I've seen battles rise over which way to place the cap (and I don't mean electrolytics either. It seems some believe there is a "front" and a "back" to these caps and that the "front" should always face ground because it sounds better..........or is it the "back" that's supposed to face the ground!!!!! It can all start getting real strange, real fast. OK, I admit it---I've done it myself.

Neal K