Capacitors - Keeping Them "Fresh" Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scottrolf, Apr 10, 2015.

1. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I understand the reasoning behind firing up a not-used-too-often amp in order to keep the Caps from "drying" out, but have a couple of questions.

1) Does the clock start ticking at the date of manufacture or the first time they are charged up and actually used (played)?

2) Can I just turn the amp on in Standby mode to consider it being "used" or do I need to actually play through it?

3) Do Caps have date codes like expiration dates on perishable food?

Any thoughts at all on this subject is much appreciated.

Thanks folks,

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

Caps don't have date codes. Certain types of caps just have typical lives.

3. wyatt

wyatt Member

1) Typically, electrolytic caps have a "shelf life" posted in their specs. This is the length of time they can sit around on the shelf before they are considered compromised. As long as those caps are bought, installed and used during that shelf life, their in use life will be much longer than \their shelf-life.

2) On must amps, you have to take it off Standby otherwise the caps don't see the high tension voltage. Why not enjoy playing through them?

3) See #1

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  4. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

all the decent boutique amp guys use special dust on their caps to keep their caps from turning into yogurt like an old gallon of milk you bought because your grandkids were supposed to visit but their estranged father showed up and took them to carowinds instead.

5. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I have a Bogner 20th Anniversary Shiva in a climate controlled storage area at the moment which is why I haven't played it in about a year now.
    However, based on your reply I will make sure I get it back into use soon.

Thanks much,