Capo on a 12 string...........

major-minor

Silver Supporting Member
When I capo my Taylor 12 string, the low E string is always sharp. I'm using a Shubb capo-------for 12 strings. I can compensate by tuning down alittle but, well--------it's a hassel.

Any suggestions?

major-minor

Silver Supporting Member
is the guitar set up?

Well, no I have not had it set up. It plays well, and in tune. For example, when I play an open G chord-------the bass G (low E strings) are fine. When I capo on the third fret, the low E strings are sharp.

I know it probably has to do with the pressure going over the fret. When I loosen the capo----I then don't have enough pressure to let all 12 strings ring out.

Was wondering if maybe I should be using a different capo for a 12 string guitar. I've used a Shubb for years on my 6 string.

gtrfinder

Silver Supporting Member
Yes you should get a 12 string capo, but try capoing it and tuning it to the capo position too.

halo3628

to me it sounds like your intonation is off... yes for an acoustic thats sounds werid i would suggest getting it set up and ask the guy for a intonated saddle and that should solve your problem plus getting it set up will make it more enjoyable to play

major-minor

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys.

Yes, the Shubb is for a 12 string. (Bought one) I bought it used and suppose I should have it set up. Re-tuning with the capo on would be an option.

What do you guys think about the capo putting too much pressure on the string and causing it to go sharp?

It sounds to me like the capo bar does not conform exactly to the radius of the f.b. In order to achieve the pressure necessary to fully fret the middle strings, the low strings may end up seeing too much pressure and are mashed sharp. Take care when applying a capo that it does not inadvertantly pull the strings sideways, too.

As a bluegrass musician I have used a capo forever (since back when there were only the Hamilton "Death Grip Clamp" and Bill Russell elastic types. We learned how to make them work properly.) and have a high level of awareness about it's effects when applied. I am amazed when I see how some gtrists pay little or no attention to how they slap one on their neck.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom