capo recomendations

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by exhaust_49, Feb 1, 2006.

1. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

What is your favourite capo? I've got one but I have a muscule problem and it's a two handed job to squese the capo open (it's one of those kyser capos). I was looking at the victor capo from dunlop. Looks like it would be a lot easier to use.
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/capos/victor/index.html
    If you have any recomendations on a good, easy to use capo please let me know.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Shubb is nice, too......very low profile.

but I still reach for and use a Keyser.....I find it to be very easy to move around on the neck.

3. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

What about those Dunlop C-Four? Looks handy too... I never tried them and use a Dunlop Trigger which is great for quickly move around the neck but does require a bit of strength to insert and release.

4. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

The C-Four looks like it would work well but Im the kinda person that likes things simple (less to break). The victor has one screw and a hinge, the C-Four has a screw and two hinges, plus its more bulky.
    Does anyone have any reviews on the Dunlop Victor Capo?

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Shubb. Own a bunch including Dunlop, Keyser and others.... don't touch 'em. Shubb for me please.

6. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Whats Shubbs web address?

7. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I found the address.

the deluxe shubb looks very good on a guitar and its not really big at all. I like the fact that you can buy a replacment sleeve if you need to. Even though its got an extra hinge its made of stainless so no worry there. Im probably going to go with shubb.

thanks

8. evhtone

evhtone Member

I have an Elliott push button and it is da bomb for tone. Best capo I've ever had. Beware...it's not cheap.

9. retro

retro Member

10. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

+1

This is what I use also. But...they do cost over $100.00

11. scottiejohnson

scottiejohnson Member

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  12. captben41

captben41 Member

I nothing but great things to say about the G 7th capo. You apply the pressure to the strings and it never makes the strings go sharp and out of tune.

I have used many capos over the past 10 years and this is by far the best one I have used.

Here is a link for it:
    http://www.music123.com/G-7th-Performance-Capo-i152210.music

13. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

I've owned them all...the Shubb was my favorite until the G7th came along. No adjustments....just clamp it down. They only problem is that they're $30-40. The new planet waves capo is suppose to be nice.

14. photoguy

photoguy Member

I thought this Glider capo was interesting:

http://www.glidercapo.com

Seems once you put it on, it rolls up and down the neck and even over the nut to put it away.

15. bigroy

bigroy Member

Shubb, because you can adjust the pressure. And Rick is a great guy!

16. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I just ordered a shubb. Can't wait to get it.

17. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I use a Keyser because it's so fast to move around the neck. I don't have time to adjust a Shubb on stage.

I don't experience it pulling the guitar out of tune if I position it properly, straight across and close to the fret.

18. Den

Den Member

I've used both Kysers and Dunlops for years for easy, quick changes. However, I recently picked up the new Planet Waves capo and think it's great. It's fast to set up or move. It also has the rubber cut in such a way that you can get the capo almost right on top of the fret wire without it being in the way. With the screw adjustment, you can tighten it exactly where you want it without throwing things out of tune.

Most of all, it actually sounds better than the other capos. When I compare the Kyser and Dunlop to the PW, I realized that they slighly deaden the tone of the strings. Highly recommended.

19. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

I have a glider, love it to death.

20. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I have two Kysers which seem to work best on my electrics and my Taylor 6-string, and a Dunlop which is better on my Martin 12-string - it fits the curve of the board very slightly better than the Kyser 12-string model, and has a wider pad so it seems to be able to apply softer pressure but over a wider area, which matters more on the 12 to stop buzzes with the different-sized string pairs.

I don't like the Shubb - I read so many reviews saying they were the best that I really tried hard to like it for a year or two, but I found it fiddly to set just right and cumbersome to fit or move. The Kyser was a revelation when I tried one, and I gave my Shubb away immediately.

Like Michael I find that the Kyser (and the Dunlop) works best when set right next to the fret, and I wonder if the problems some people seem to have with them come from not doing this - I've never had a single issue with mine.