Captain America: Civil War Discussion Thread w/spoilers

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ford, May 4, 2016.

1. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

After you see the movie, let's discuss it here.

There will be spoilers in this thread so if you haven't seen the movie, stay away until you do see it!

Have fun. I'm jealous of those who have already seen it!

I'll be back sometime this weekend to post my thoughts.

2. Craig Walker

Craig Walker An expensive cup V Gold Supporting Member

Just got back. Fantastic!

Anyone catch the [I think] Joe Russo cameo? [dead guy in the tub]

3. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

Great Super Hero flick, probably the best Marvel, at least top 3. Way more of an emotional impact compared to Superman vs Batman. Fantastic integration of new characters. Spiderman was done well, and didn't appear too CGI as he did in the trailer. Very funny at points, but equally sad, especially during the fight between Stark, Cap,and the Winter Soldier.

BTW, the poster above is spot in in his assessment of the relationship between Cap and WS. It's really the only thing in the movie that doesn't have the same emotional impact as they try to portray it does. That bond they're supposed to have doesn't seem to me that it's
    that strong. I'm glad I'm not The only one that noticed.

ford likes this.
  4. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

PS....I wonder with the reintroduction of Thunderbolt Rossi, we'll get another attempt for again Hulk stand alone???

5. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

Just saw it. Excellent movie. Too much to recap, but they handled all the threads well. I can see why they chose the Russo Bros to complete do the Avengers Infinity thing. Those guys are solid.
    I think the relationship is there, because of Caps history with Bucky. I'm a fan of the three Cap Amer movies and his relationship with him in those is a big deal in that. Especially the first. It's not supposed to be all self contained in the new movie, we're supposed to carry that through to this one. If the emotional impact is muted, I think it may be due to Sebastian Stan's muted portrayal of WS. It works for me, but I can see some people not getting the feels from that.

fishleehooker and CC Overdrive like this.
  6. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

Love the Avengers concept, franchise, etc. but I saw Civil War today and was disappointed. The airport showdown was excellent but I thought much of the movie was paced too slowly in fact several people around me were asleep for a good chunk in the middle of the movie. I did like the introduction of Black Panther, Antman and Spiderman and thought all 3 brought new dynamics to the plot.

I think my problem with this movie (and Winter Soldier) is that I don't give a damn about Bucky and the seeming unending twists and turns around his Hydra-scrambled brain. And now we learn there are five Winter Soldiers??? Good grief.

Is it me or does anyone else think Robert Downey Jr. is looking bored with his Tony Stark / Ironman persona?

On the upside, best Stan Lee cameo yet - "package for Tony Stank" :)

Wolfboy1 and RTM1216 like this.
  7. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

Funny you mention that because as I was watching, I remember thinking it was probably Downey's best performance as Stark, as he's largely out of costume. Not a lot of inside suit facial only shots, and much more if him playing the elder statesmen with conscience issues....

derekd, jrjones and TheClev like this.
  8. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Does no-one else think that Black Panther is the biggest hypocrite ever ? He's so angry about the Avengers mess -up, and wants these accords so bad, yet he's still operating in secret and did not come out and sign them himself.
    Whiny hypocrite, and he was after the wrong guy.

I enjoyed it, but the big scene on the tarmac where the two sides faced off was such a "WTF, guys ? What's going on here ? Are we being played" moment that all these supposedly super-dudes missed, so wrapped up in their teenage strength.

I think that Cappy is so invested in the WS because he is from his own time. Don't forget that he is always struggling wiht being the only survivor from his time, and the death of the old bird in the beginning just hammers that home. HE feels so alone in that. The daggy old helmet he wears is like a meme for that thought.
    Both he and WS were used and abused by their handlers, and he has this burning sense of justice and need to address that.
    And I don't usually analyse the motives of cartoon characters.

Wolfboy1, fishleehooker and dubdub like this.
  9. dillingerescaped

dillingerescaped Member

Ok movie...Not a big fan so don't really know peoples names...but I typically hate when like explosions are added just for shock value...e.g Scarlett Johannsons character surviving a grenade blow in a locked car!
    I thought Robert Downey Jr did a great job...
    above post was accurate to me in that I felt like Captain America wasn't bonded to bucky...idk if it was bad acting or bad writing but its interesting that others felt that.
    It also felt like they just introduced a bunch of characters just cause they could...give me Captain America! its a caption america movie!

10. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I thought it was great. Up there with the best Marvel movies. I just got home from seeing it an hour ago.

I certainly feel that Captain was all in for saving Bucky. It carried over from Winter Soldier. The guy was his best friend. He knows he would never do any of that stuff willingly. Now the difference is Bucky remembers things but he's disconnected to his own past. He's really connected to Cap now only because Cap is trying to help him.

Cap also feels guilty for letting it happen to begin with...which goes back to the first CA movie.

AntMan was great. Paul Rudd is just the perfect Scott Lang.

Casting for Spiderman and Black Panther were both excellent.

The fight scenes were tremendous and the best of any super hero movie so far.

Black Widow's fights in the opening scenes were just fantastic.

Giant Man/Goliath... I knew something like that could happen but I wasn't expecting it to.. though as soon as Ant Man said he had something up his sleeve I knew that was going to be it.

I think Downey Jr was great again as Stark. He is playing him at his lowest. He's sad about what happened and the lives lost. He's said about his relationship with Pepper. He's borderline depressed it seems.

The two after credit scenes didn't further many of the stories along as some have done.

The first is meant to show that the Avengers will come back together if needed... and that there is now a good relationship between Cap and Black Panther.

I'm wondering if the second was part of the deal with Sony to get Spidey back in these Marvel made movies.

Also, this movie goes to show how powerful and awesome Spiderman is. He was pretty dominating and had only been Spiderman for a little more than six months. Of course in the end he is Marvel's number one character.

11. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

They should have filmed it at Gettysburg.

Spooky Action likes this.
  12. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I thought the movie was great but not as good as The Winter Soldier.. I feel the same way about WS that some of you do. I just don't care for the character or that Cap and Iron Man are fighting over him. Spidey was great. Ant Man great. Black Panther great.

Marvel is kicking ass.. I love it. What's next?

ford likes this.
  13. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Member

got 93 % rotten tomatoes. want my 3 hours back. completely boring to me. more hollywood drivel. i see stuff late at night on turner classic that puts most new films to shame.

14. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

I go to the cinema only to watch big action movies and saves all the drama, comedies stuff at home in my own home cinema so it's cheaper while movies that needs the large screen I visit the theatres.

Soooo I went to civil war with my movie buddy and he asked "when did we last come here?" The Revenant? And after civil war he said, that was way better than batman v superman, and I said, "we came to watch that too!"

That immediately told me how forgettable Batman v Superman was and how good civil war is.

Onto the movie itself, loved it. The Russo brothers just knows comic books, they nailed all the characters and every movie that passes I like Captain America more, he was my least favours character to begin with as I found him boring and just 1 dimensional but now he is much more fully developed and really show shine in this marvel universe.

Scarlet Witch however just kicks arse, I know think anyone can stop her if she really gets angry, you can imagine her just put everyone in a bubble and throw them either into space or 20 miles into the core.

The baddie was the only weak link in this movie, I guess he was only served as a catalyst to get them to fight, was effective as a tool but not effective as a real villain.

I think this is as good as Winter Soilder which is the best Marvel Movie to date.

KeLynne and ford like this.
  15. 9520575

9520575 Member

Man, that movie was a lot of fun! Very much enjoy the Captain America series.

16. ultradust

ultradust Member

That Leipzig/Halle Airport brawl. Woah.

Other than Vision being rather idle until called to the set, that whole bit had me both giggling and glued to my seat, Antman's bug-in-Ironman-to-Godzilla scene itself being almost worth the full price of admission.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  17. LazyJay

LazyJay Member

After all that money spent on special effects you'd think they'd have spent a few bucks on a plot, wouldn't you?

18. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

That immediately told me how forgettable Batman v Superman was and how good civil war is.
    [/QUOTE]

I have and while not a big fan of Doctor Strange as a kid that probably won't stop me from liking that movie either.. Marvel is just pretty much on top of things.

Batman V Superman isn't anywhere close to the same level as this movie, or really any of the Marvel movies since Iron Man came out.

I still think the Avengers movie is #1 and as close to perfect as anyone could get (perfect being what I liked from the comic books and imagined in my head it would be in real life, as a kid and how Joss got it on the screen without it being cheesy) in a movie.. He didn't do as well with the Ultron movie, but I'm not sure that was all his fault..

Jeff

ford likes this.
  19. harry65

harry65 Member

On my way out the door with familia to see it , so pumped!!!!!!!!!

ford likes this.
  20. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Spider-Man was more than a bit too juvenile for my liking. Aunt May is far too young for her character. I'm old school Marvel - 60s and 70s storylines - and I want authenticity.

Other than that, I loved the movie! Black Panther was the breakout character, IMO. I can't wait for his movie. My wife and I both mourned Peggy Carter, but it will be fun to see Steve and Sharon progress. But where will this happen?

There are many loose ends. Plants the seeds for the inevitable Iron Man 4. Bring it on!

KeLynne and ford like this.