Captain Beefheart and his magic band: Trout Mask Replica

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jisatsu, May 21, 2018.

1. urizen

urizen Silver Supporting Member

As is Ant Man Bee (great DOUBLE sax solo/outro---Ornette Coleman is on record as being impressed when he heard it, and I was blown away when I heard Van Vliet repeat it substantially note for note live)* and Sugar and Spikes:

* some especially beautiful and rapturous horn lines starting at 3:20

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    saucyjack, jnovac1 and deeohgee like this.
  2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Member

Believe me ...They knew.

3. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

He is probably on FB he is in NYC.

DrumBob likes this.
  4. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

doctor dark live was a mind blower.

5. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

The Beefheart doc available through Amazon Prime is a fun watch, especially the TMR era coverage.

6. gman1951

gman1951 Silver Supporting Member

For me, the desire to listen to the Captain is commensurate with my desire to listen to most Rap music: Don't get it, Don't want to, Don't need to! If the point was to get my teeth grinding, I guess he was successful. For myself, listening to music shouldn't be tedious and painful (unless that's what you want). IMO, I think he was pranking everyone and laughed all the way to the bank.

7. Blooby

Blooby Member

8. urizen

Lots and lots of great/diverse material on his albums, barring a a few duds---the shot at desperate commerciality entitled Moonbeams and Bluejeans was pretty atrocious----but I can't imagine anybody not "getting into" at least a couple of tracks off The Spotlight Kid* (and I can imagine someone who can't get into Beefheart probably can't get into much of Tom Waits' catalogue either).

Remarkably enough, the BAND members were apparently not fond of The Spotlight Kid because they thought it was, erm-----less "dynamic" than the stuff that came before, and due to their mutual dissatisfactions, they all exited the band over time and the guys that replaced them (for the Moonbeams....) couldn't neither stand up to, collaborate nor drive Van Vliet the way the original members could.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    saucyjack and deeohgee like this.
  9. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

mmm, it doesn't seem a brilliant move to make an album like for TMR for the money (an album that required also a lot of time to the musicians to learn the parts, if I remember correctly one full year).
    Actually they were starving all the time for what I've read.
    I don't think that Beefheart have never sold a lot with his music.

10. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Yeah, probably made thousands of dollars, or two.
    [Actually I've found Trout, Best Of.., etc. in used CD racks.]

11. urizen

....and yet still so highly regarded, admired and even categorized as significantly seminal by other musicians, bands, critics and sundry/assorted mavens----

12. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Member

The Third Man Records reissue of this arrived on my doorstep today. A really proper and great sounding release. Jack White and Co. did it right. Heavyweight LP. Sounds impeccable. Crazy fun “fish scale” swirl vinyl. Cover re-printed from the original cover. Did I mention the remastering sounds amazing?

Such a fun record. Not for all, but definitely for me.

deeohgee likes this.
  13. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Laughed all the way to the bank? Are you joking? Don never made any real money off of his music, and he was dead serious about what he did. He was only successful after he left music in 1982 to concentrate on his art. You don't really know much about Don, do you?

stevemc and deeohgee like this.
  14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

15. lhallam

lhallam Member

When I used to substitute Jr High and High school choir, it was tough to make them sing. So I would tell them if you sing for the first 1/2 hour, you can talk among yourselves while I play albums that I brought in. At 6th period a girl ran into class and said "I want to hear the burnt weeny album"! :)

eclecticsynergy and deeohgee like this.
  16. slybird

slybird Member

I've tried to listen to if a few times. Some of my favorite songs have some really crappy annoying vocals, but with that album the vocal tone annoys me so much that I can't get into the music or songs. Vocals grate on me so much that I always turn the music off before a second song has ended. I find Merzbo and other noise artists to be easy listening in comparison.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  17. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

I love captain beefheart and love most of his album's. I like weird stuff. I'm a big residents fan for crying out loud, but this album just sucks imo. Rubbish and I'm pretty sure the band would even agree to a certain extent.

18. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

I think they were magnificent. My favorite record is Clear Spot, which was produced by Ted Templeman. Not many of their recordings that I don't dig. TMR is way up there.

19. WornFrets

WornFrets Supporting Member

I love Trout Mask, but my favorite is Lick My Decals Off, Baby.

20. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Just love most Beefheart (Trout Mask Replica, Clear Spot, Bongo Fury, Shiny Beast, most of the middle years), and not only is it great to listen to, it's very useful. It is delightful to have music to combat my teenage daughters and their K-Pop on a trip. "If you don't quiet down, it's Trout Mask Replica time..." That always simmers them down.

Also when we have a clean up day at work, and I get to pick the tunes, it's always Trout Mask Replica. It really ticks the others off. :)

IMHO there are few songs as lovely as My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains.