Captain Coconut 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EXP, Jun 19, 2006.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

im ordering a CC2 with the Vintage Germanium card this week. ive been wanting another vibe for a long time now and also wanted to try another germanium fuzz for early Hendrix tones while i was at it. so it made sense to go with the CC2, kill 3 birds with 1 stone. CC2 owners want to chime in?

:dude

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I thought mine was fine, but not quite as good as a NKT Fuzzface, Deja Vibe Stereo and pedalman Octave combined. I did try the germanium card but it still was just a hair harsher and cleaned up less neatly than the FF.

4. Teahead

Teahead Member

The CC2 is the Hendrix Live thing in a box, if you dig Jimi's live tones, own a decent tube amp & guitar and can play a bit, it's endless fun.

5. Craise

Craise Member

I loved mine for many years. One of if not the best Vibes out. IMHO. Ended up not using the octave that much, but it does sound great and better than most. Fuzz is allround good fuzz..way better than most..but there are better fuzzes out(that cost as much as the whole cc2). If Mr. Fox would put out just the Single Vibe pedal I would buy one in a second. I know he use to make them and even one time a few years ago had a list of people that were interested in just the stand along provibe..but nothing ever came of it? Overall great value.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

You know...this happens a lot. While I understand it, I think....

Generally, once you've ordered a pedal, I think it is a mistake to ask what "I can expect" out of it. I don't mean you are wrong to do it, or anything, just, you probably will get well meaning folk that may come with both positive and negative points about it. This might sour you a little on the new purchase, and it shouldn't.

Once you've ordered it, basically...I just think "well...you'll find out for yourself".

I started writing my thoughts on it, I had one for a while a few years ago, and it is a really cool pedal. It was unique, and I personally think the octave in it is THE BEST I have ever played. I liked very much the vibe, but had a harder time dialing in what I wanted, the fuzz is great.
    Just saying, once you've ordered it, I don't want to rain on your parade, you may LOVE it, you may LIKE, or dislike it...but I think you ought to have that little window of time between ordering and getting it, where you are thinking "I hope this is the BEST pedal I ever bought" and not have it dampened.

I personally would avoid asking until after I got the pedal, played with it a bit, and especially a great pedal like this....which is not a "no-brainer", meaning it has a complex interplay between the effects, and gives you access to controls on the vibe for instance that often are buried IN the vibe, so you CAN make really crappy sounds by tweaking one way, or fantastic ones tweaking another. Unlike "plug and play" where you get two or three knobs, and almost can't go wrong, this pedal takes some getting used to because it allows you to adjust things that can make some weird sounds. So don't get discouraged if right out of the box it doesn't floor you, but take it one at a time and really get to know it, and have a little faith that you'll get there!

It IS a great pedal.

7. Rid

Rid Senior Member

There maybe "better" this and that out there, but the sheer funfactor and cool sounds in this one is very hard to beat.
    I have spent hours with a friends CC2, and I tweaked my strats toneknobs, the volume, fooled around with different amps, it is so 60's that is just bringing out a huge grin everytime I play with it.
    It is one of those things that can get you lost for hours.
    I want one myself and I have my eye on one.
    Want one of those with silicium and germanium.

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

My favorite multi-effect :D

I have a CC1 though. Doesnt take up as much room, but doesnt have swappable cards or ECS (a cool option BTW).

9. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

10. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Just get the NKT fuzz card....totally amazing clean up and could not be any smoother.

11. Creamy

Creamy Member

All around, an amazing quality pedal. Once you start playing with it you'll soon realize just how much thought and engineering went into the design of this pedal. I'd make sure you set aside plenty of time to experiment with the different settings. The VIBE takes a little patience to find the sweet spot, especially in the envelope setting and at the end of an effects chain. But once you've got it figured out, its a breeze. Some people buy this pedal just for the VIBE! The FUZZ is something else - pretty easy with three knobs. With the "Grit" at zero, dial in the fuzz you want, then accent it with grit. Overall, I like the fuzz for how much it cleans up when you roll back your guitar volume and then how crackly dirty you can make it by cranking the vol back up. Mine has the AM Germanium fuzz card. I'd like to compare this with other fuzzes. The OCTAVE definately is an over-the-top effect, that I use occasionally. Actually, I went ahead and bought FOXROX's OCTRON (- a different octaver entirely) because of the quality of the CC2. The CC2 has a larger footprint but beause of its versatility, I doubt that once its on your pedal board it will every leave.

12. Python

Python Member

MrMunky,

All very nice but I could listen to FoxRox4.mp3 all night ... listening to it right now, most excellent!!!

Jim

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

It's a great pedal, though I found little use for the vintage germanium fuzzcard (didn't try others though). The vibe and octave are great...

14. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

being able to change out the fuzz cards as well as the order of the effects is pretty cool. Perhaps the best Octavia out there. All three effects are good, but like many pedals there are at least 5 fuzzface or Univibe pedals I could quickly name, all good in different ways, each with a slightly different tone. Unfortunately you have to find the one that matches you and your set up. Sometimes it can be expensive to do so.

15. exodus

exodus Member

very very cool pedal (if you can call it that). But in the end I just found a fuzz I liked a bit more, a vibe a liked a lot more, and an octave that i liked a bit more--but didn't use much anyway.

really cool multi-pedal unit for sure. but those three effects i tend to harp over and experiment a lot with so the CC2 got sold.

I guess the main gripe was that I never bonded with the fuzz (which could totally be my setup). I had the Ge card. It is very good, but just didn't jive with my setup.

16. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

what were you running it through? ill be running mine through a cranked BF Super Reverb.