captain coconut, 3rd times a charm

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rockster12, Aug 25, 2005.

1. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

Well I just recieved my 3rd Captain Coconut. Seems like everytime in the past after I have been using the CC for a while, I start reading all the threads about this latest and greatest vibe or this latest and greatest fuzz, I sell the cc to justify the purchase of a new vibe and fuzz combonation only to comeback to the realization that the vibe on the CC is the best to my ears and the fuzz is as good as any that I have owned if not better. Well this time I had been settling on a vibe and fuzz. Mind you I didn't think it was any better than what was in my last CC and not as good in some ways, and I was itching for a octavia type pedal to incorporate in some original material and after all the research, I was going to get an Octron. Well after some thought and considering all the costs, I decided to just get another CC2. I have tried all of the "bad ass" vibes out there and several other Fuzz units, and I now can say with the utmost confidence that not only Does the CC2 have some of the best sounding effects but it is by far the best and I mean best value and bang for the buck. I have tried alot and I have spent alot of jack that I could have saved if I would have just stayed with my original captain coconut.
    So I am writing this for 2 reasons. One, to give props to Dave Fox for offering a fantastic pedal at a great price and two, to maybe help someone save a few $ by making a good solid choice the first time.

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Yep, the CC2 is the shizzit!:dude

3. granite

granite Member

Man I'm so on the fence on this one. I love the sound of the Provibe and the Envelope Controlled Speed (ECS) function is the balls, but I don't see myself using the Fuzz or Octave routinely. I just can't justify shelling out $400 for what would amount to a one effect box for me.

Can't FoxRox just put out the vibe separately??? Please!!!

Anyway, if there is a used one out for $250 range I'll buy it. Dream on, I know.

4. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Granite.....I am not a really messy fuzz guy for the most part however I use the Fuzzfoot all the time with the guitars volume rolled off to give it a just dirty sound and it wonderful, dynamic and organic. I kinda roll up the volume to accent certain notes or dime it to give a nice raw feedback. The fuzzfoot is very versatile unlike most fuzz pedals that are balls to the wall or nothing.

Also the octave pedal with a good od after it (Zim works well) will give less of a traditional octave sound and more of a pronounced high end just feedingback sort of sound which sounds really cool.

Rockster, I agree with your statement 100%...CC2 is a wicked deal and the vibe is truly outstanding. I am a cheap bugger and it really worried me spending that kinda of money on a pedal (I have gotten a couple of Marshall heads for less:( ) but I don't regret if for a moment.

:dude If you guys really aren't fuzz guys get yourself a NKT card because it gives a really wide range from clean to nice warm fuzz.

5. clapointe

clapointe Member

I own an original Foxrox CC-1 and never looked back ! The Univibe (Provibe) is awesome. The octave is very good and the fuzzface is warm and works great with a wah. My Foxrox CC-1 and Boss CE-1 will never leave my board !

6. jonleecourage

jonleecourage Member

So, if you guys had a choice between, say, keeping a Sunface NKT, Addrock Electric Smile, and adding something like a dejavibe or mojovibe, versus tossing the two pedals and not getting the vibe, and just getting a CC2, you'd get the CC2? Or since I'm already so far along, just add the vibe? Cost not the issue as much as the most authentic/best tone.

Ooooo, I just love the crazy hypotheticals you can pose on this board!

7. granite

granite Member

From what I have read from others, I would just add a MojoVibe if it was me in this situation. The CC2's vibe is excellent, but the Fuzz and Octave are just decent/good not better than other Fuzz & Octaves out there. This is a great marketing strategy by Foxrox. They use to sell the vibe separately, but then packaged it so that you have to buy all three to get the vibe.

That said, I am still considering picking up a CC2, but I don't have a fuzz or octave already. The CC's Provibe sounds great to my ears and playing style. Others think that it colors their sound too much, but not me.

8. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I disagree with the statement above regarding the fuzz and octave. I think the fuzzfoot is an excellent quality fuzz. I have the standard card plus a NKT card for mine and they are both stellar sounding units that can be dialed in to a wide array of sounds. I have shelved my Sola Sound Tonebender because the fuzzfoot is a much better pedal.

The octave- I don't have much experience with the competitors so I can only say that it sounds good to me.

There is a certain advantage to having all the pedals in one box that I like too.

9. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

I would have to agree. And I still have a mini deja and a Sunface.
    As far as the octave, I think all would agree that it is the least used pedal for the most part and The ones that sound the best to me were the Roger mayer, the Chicago Iron and the one in the captain coconut. Check the prices on the aforementioned. As far as fuzz goes, Ive had to Sunfaces, london fuzz, and fulltone. and while they all sounded pretty good (I liked the LOndon the least) The fuzz sounds everybit as good and some cases better. As far as the Vibes, I've owned the mini deja, the ultra vibe, the mjm vibe unit, VL micro vibe and to me none sounded as good as the provibe in the Captain coconut. However I do realize that it is subjective.

10. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

What guitars/amps are you guys using the CC's between?

I ask because I have heard (Read) that this unit favors single coil loaded guitars. I am a Gibson (LP and 335) guy, and have been hesitant to try one out only to have to sell it because it didn't work out between my Gibsons and VHT amps.

TIA, Scott

11. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

My CC2 did not work very well with my Hamer with Antiquity humbuckers. It sounded great with my single coil guitars, but the humbuckers seemed to drive it a bit too hard. I'm happier with the Mojovibe in conjunction with humbuckers.

The ECS feature on the CC2 is amazing, and really pushes the pedal a notch over the other boutique Vibe pedals IMO.

12. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I use the fuzz in my CC2 with all of my guitars, whether they have humbuckers, P-90s, mini-hums, or Fender-type single coils. It can get a tad wooly with full-size humbuckers, but I just back the volume off a tad. It REALLY seems to like my '73 SG with mini-humbuckers.

There is something special about a Strat and a fuzz face type circuit into a blaring Marshall... And the CC2 doesn't disappoint. :dude

13. granite

granite Member

Couldn't agree more on this and this is why I am still tempted to buy a CC2. On second thought maybe my assessment of the CC2 fuzz and Octave were a little harsh. The point I was trying to make was that if I was shopping for a Fuzz or Octave there are other units that do it better than Foxrox in MY opinion, but you don't get a choice since they are packaged with the Provibe. In fact I just bought Kaden's Flamingo Fuzz which suited my needs better. Personal choice, but the CC2 is a good unit overall and I am glad you are happy with it.