• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

"Captain" Kirk Douglas (The Roots)

Zero

Does anyone know about him? I've been Googling his name but can't find a bio or things like a gear list. I have been watching Fallon's new show on & off and this guy can really wail.

brdstl

He's a mystery to me as well. He's bad as hell though. I saw the Roots last summer and the whole band was amazing.

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
Been good friends w/Kirk for around 15 years. We used to do shows & tour together when he was in Apollo Heights. Just a great guy & an absolute sweetheart. He's definitely killin' it in the Roots.

cogan

They must have had a line-up change, or just really started practicing. I saw them open for Wilco about 4 years ago at Red Rocks. The bass player took a solo which seemed to go on and go nowhere forever. To this day, I swear it was the first time the guy ever picked up a stringed instrument, it sounded that lost. Just terrible. Honestly, it was easily the worst performance I have ever seen (not just the bass player), which is saying a lot as I was watching live acts 4 or 5 nights a week at the time. Glad to hear they've put in the time and got it together. Or maybe they're one of those bands I just don't get.

todd richman

Killer player and fun to watch live. He played this past July 4th with the Roots along with Sheryl Crow's band on the Parkway-amazing show with Kirk'splaying followed by peter Stroud with Sheryl. A gear fest too! Kirk has some cool Les Pauls and a Trussart.

TaronKeim

They must have had a line-up change, or just really started practicing.
Nope... must have just caught them on an off night - they've been together for over 20 years - I saw them around 4 years back as well with a brass section in tow and they absolutely killed it, bass player included.

Kirk was a highlight though, especially the medley him and Black Thought did near the end of the show including some Hendrix, Dillan and Zepellin.

_TJK*

Last edited:

jjboogie

Kirk is great!

On Roots tours he uses the Stiletto and Gibson Les Pauls.

On Jimmy Fallon's show he uses a Lonestar and a Les Paul with P-90's.

Sometimes it looks like he is using an ES-339 or 336....I get them confused.

Monster player!

j-bo

Love that clip. I gotta check out that new Legend album. The Roots are one of my all-time favorite hip-hop groups. Kirk is an awesome addition.

riker4208

DUDE!!! Are you kidding me? The bass and drums are THE BEST part of the band. (referring to the above bass comment).

ahhhhhhhhhh.....indeed a line up change, I was just taking Taronkeim on his word. this is the new dude (on bass)
Owen Biddle (b. October 1, 1977) is an American bass guitarist, record producer, and songwriter from Philadelphia, who has been touring with Grammy-award-winning hip hop group The Roots since the August 31, 2007 departure of 17-year-veteran bassist

I'm not very guitar-centric when it comes to this band, he's good tho

Trending Topics