Car fans: Happy anniversary to the GM small block V8!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by explorer76, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Doodad

Doodad Member

I have owned two cars now with the Chevy small block. Great motor. My current one is the 2005 introduced LS2 iteration of the engine. The previous was the 93 introduced LT-1.

2. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Probably the best gasoline engine ever produced. The Stratocaster of the automotive world.

3. Johnny V.

Johnny V. Member

Pretty amazing the engine that survived all the GM consolidation and cuts was the product of the "low price division"-Chevrolet. All the other V-8s fell by the wayside-Pontiac, Olds, Buick and Cadillac.

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Strangely enough, out of all the cars I've owned, I've never had one in a car. Big blocks, sure, but small blocks, no. OTOH, I do have a Chevy 350 in my airboat that's parked in Florida. That thing is so reliable, it's not even funny and if something does go wrong, it's so easy to work on even I can do it...it's truly a masterpiece of engineering.

5. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I always thought it's mid skirt and ball studs were it's weakness.

6. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Cost is the reason that the SBC survived after they killed the other division's engines.

It was, by far, the cheapest of the GM V-8s to produce. Between that and simplifying logistics by having all the divisions share some of the bread and butter engines, they reduced costs.

Even though, being a die hard Pontiac fan, and the thought of a Chevy V8 in a Pontiac is hard to bear, the SBC is a great engine that's stood the test of time.

7. cratz2

cratz2 Member

1996 C2500, 5.7L, 4-speed auto. 212,000 miles when I sold it. Definitely not the prettiest or best-riding vehicle ever, but it was a city vehicle for 10 years and then a concrete work truck after that. I bought it and was my concrete work truck for a couple years after that. It hauled a 40HP backhoe and trailer (above it's rated towing capacity) more times than I can remember. I hauled two tons of sand on probably 100 occasions. The only issue I had with it in just over two years was a battery and one brake line.

[​IMG]