Car stolen

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by klatuu, May 27, 2015.

1. klatuu

klatuu Member

Opened the garage at 5:30 this morning to find my car gone. Poof.
    I had a spare key in the console that I forgot was there after locking myself out of the car a few months ago. I paid the car off a few years ago and have only been carrying liability insurance so it's a total loss. It will probably turn up a few states away in a couple of weeks all beat to hell.
    So, I now get to go car shopping, my least favorite thing in the world to do. Bummer.

2. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

How were they able to break into your garage without you hearing a thing?

3. klatuu

klatuu Member

It was in the driveway. There's a boat and a motorcycle in the garage. We have 3 dogs and one barks at the faintest noise. She barks wildly when the neighbors pull in their driveway that's 200 feet from our house. She never barked once.

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

That sounds like the thief knew the dog...got any teenage kids who might have hoodlum friends?

5. Turi

Turi Member

Your spare key was in the car, which was out in the driveway?

Man, even if you were fully insured I'm not sure they'd pay out on that.

Only way it could be worse is if the car was unlocked.. was the car unlocked?

6. GasMask

GasMask Member

Sucks! I also had a car stolen when I was living in New Orleans. I had a spare key very well hidden underneath the chassis, covered in electrical tape- so it wasn't obvious even if you saw it. I assume that's how they got it. Police found the vehicle some time later- stripped and burnt. I went to see it- underneath an overpass in a very rough part of town. Dangerous even in broad daylight. It's strange to wake up and find your car missing.

7. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

The armed guard that usually watches at nite probably had taken time off.........what is the difference if the keys were in it and it was running.........stolen is stolen. PRR

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

So true.

People who intend to steal your car will find a way.

Maybe the best approach is to drive something they're not familiar with or simply don't like.

We've got 7 cars now and have comp and collision on the best 6 of them. Premiums which in 2-3 years represents the value of one of those cars. So, I guess you could say I let the Insurance Company steal a car from me every 2-3 years instead of letting the thieves take one. And probably even if they do steal one of mine, the Insurance Company will find a way to pay me 40 cents on the dollar. The woman in the TV ad is a Whiner to expect 100% indemnification, but I actually wouldn't mind if only they really did give you enough for 3/4ths of a car. My sense is, they don't even do that.

I'm just superstitious that if I drop the coverage, then some cars disappear. :^

9. cmerch

cmerch Member

Your insurance company would differ with your opinion.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  10. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

11. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

You know my insurance company? I don't think that clause is in my policy........I suppose they won't pay if I make a stupid driving mistake (my fault)..........insurance pays for mistakes......that why I put myself through paying for the monthly policy. Update- my insurance pays if the car is stolen with the keys inside and running.........reason? Says the agent........"because it was stolen". PRR

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    nsureit likes this.
  12. standard24

standard24 Member

I can't believe no one has ask this question yet..... "Was it hot???"

Really... what kind of car was it?

I'm an insurance agent... Certain types of cars are usually found within a day or so. If yours was an Accord or Camry, is may have been taken for parts.

There's a scam where a new car will be stolen.... Stripped of wheels, doors, hood, air bags, seats and trunk lid... (All easy to remove or replace.) Then the "carcass" is left for the police to find. The insurance declares the car a total loss and the "carcass" is auctioned off. The thieves attend the auction and outbid all others. They buy the car with a valid title, then replace the removed items, and have a new car for maybe $1000 total.

13. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Cool.....there must be some way to blame the victim.......his stolen car must have been "hot" and he was scammin the insurance..........okie dokie........PRR

14. klatuu

klatuu Member

It was an Accord. It was an older 2004 Accord coupe with V6 and 6 speed manual transmission. I work in sales and drive 1000 miles per week, so the car had very high mileage (390,000) but because they were highway miles and it was well maintained, it ran perfect. Still had the original clutch in it. Looked like hell from the faded paint. Probably not stolen to part out.
    My kids are college graduates now except for the youngest, and she's a senior in college, so no hoodlum friends. We live in a rural area in a neighborhood where the lots are all over an acre, so the houses aren't very close and its dark. I think it was someone looking to steal a car, maybe kids, as my wife's car was unlocked and she left her small wallet with her credit cards in it on her console, and it was untouched. Her keys were inside the house.

15. klatuu

klatuu Member

It is strange in a very violated feeling kinda way.

16. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Sorry for your loss and the thread drift (Ha!).

17. navin johnson

navin johnson Member

anytime your house is robbed (in this case they stole your car from your house, right?) it is someone you know, 99.9% of the time. do not look far from you for a drug addict or general butthole. could be a friend of a friend, or a relative. but it's always someone you know. it's a rare thing when a burglar has the courage to rob a random location. ask any cop, i'm sure there are several here

18. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Sorry for the loss as well.......I have a 98 Civic that is beat on the outside but runs perfectly......I use it as my "ramp car".........it sits in the parking ramp all day at work and is good for that purpose......it has only liabity insurance as well.....I'd be pissed if someone stole it! Prr

19. standard24

standard24 Member

Do you really think folks would go to a neighborhood like yours to steal a car? (I live in the same kind of acreage neighborhood.) When they want to just grab a car, they usually go to an apartment complex, shopping center or movie complex. Maybe they needed body parts and followed you home. Or maybe your thief was different.

20. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

Depends on the insurance company. There are several carriers that offer "agreed value" on your car, meaning there is no depreciation during the policy period so you know EXACTLY what you'll get in the event of a total loss/stolen vehicle. Only the carriers that focus on higher net worth customers provide that kind of coverage (Chubb, Fund, AIG, etc), but it is available. Most carriers will pay you what the car is worth on the open market the day of the loss, usually determined by a Kelly Blue Book or other value indicator. However, if you want enough coverage to buy a new car, you have to have an agreed value policy and you'll have to over-insure the value as it ages...and of course, pay extra for it.

Anyway, just an FYI.