Car Trade In Question: What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Pietro, May 2, 2016.

1. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I have a 16 (really 17) year old 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I'm going to be getting rid of it, because it's time.

It's in pretty good shape, less than 120K miles, engine is GREAT, but it has the typical niggling 17-year old problems that a car like this has. AC needs serviced, he back door locks only work manually, the drivers' side window needs service (works, but goes ClikClikClikClik at the top rather than stopping) I think the front suspension or swaybar needs replaced... still drives well.

I will almost certainly be getting a used car through Carmax near me.

Should I just trade this? Or should I give it a bath and a vacuum and place a local ad? I don't want to deal with wackos and am thinking I'll only get MAYBE a grand more in an outright sale than just Carmax giving me Kelly BB wholesale.

What say you, TGP experts on all things!?!?!?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Not likely worth much. I'd trade it. I wouldn't go anywhere near Carmax though. Around here at least, their prices are terrible. They offered me $800 as a trade on a car with a blue book of $4,500, and the prices on cars they were selling were about 10% above the going rate.

3. Pietro

The one near here seems pretty good.

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Less of a PITA to just trade it in. Let them do all the paperwork.

5. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

they will offer 1/2 what ever the going rate is for the car. cant be much on a 2000 jeep.
    if you want to hold out on CL for a few hundred more and chance something busting on it....to me not worth it.

last year I traded in my 08 fusion for a 15
    power train light was intermittent on and off when it got real hot. car was dropping cyls when it was on.

I timed it so when they checked itwould be off. so I brung her in first thing in the morning

Blue book was $8000, had it on CL for a month for $7K and no bites

they offered me $5500 and I upped them to $6000. done

they had it on the lot for $11K. it never moved. was there a long long time.

6. JBid

JBid Member

It is almost always cheaper to repair a car than replace it.

7. LDS22

LDS22 grapes Silver Supporting Member

keep it. I kept my '97 wrangler because it's worth more to me as a backup than I would ever get by selling it. just keep it and buy the other one as a daily driver

8. Pietro

17 year old car.

It's time.

I want something that doesn't rid the planet of its oil so fast... At a certain point, it just feels like it's going to be a money pit. Little things not working anymore (like that window, back door lock). More $#!† gonna start falling off.

DV52 likes this.
  9. Pietro

Not an option for me in this house, though.

10. LDS22

LDS22 grapes Silver Supporting Member

gotcha. I just got a new (used) car. my commute sucks too bad to have a crappy car. if you spend a lot of time in it, buy what you want.

11. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

You'll almost always get more by selling outright. If you do trade it go to your bank with the VIN and mileage and ask them to pull NADA on it and go to the dealership with a print-out of trade-in value and don't accept less. When they tell you nada says just show them you know what you're talking about and they'll usually play ball.

12. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Another option to consider is to donate it to Goodwill or similar charity. Usually, they will handle to paperwork and you can claim the donation as a tax deduction. I've never done it, but may consider it when my current vehicle is ready to be retired.

Blues Power and JBid like this.
  13. Pietro

I really need the trade in as a down payment, though.

14. JBid

JBid Member

I've done that, but to claim the deduction the total charitable donations must exceed the standard deduction.

15. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I've donated two cars to the Arthritis Foundation. If you don't need the cash you'd get by selling or the car isn't worth anything (and my '72 Cutlass S that looked like a 442 down to the A2564D flame orange paint wasn't worth jack), that's the way to go. If you need the cash and/or the car is worth something, you're always better off selling or trading it in if you don't want the hassle of selling it to a private party.

16. Pietro

The thing that tempts me to list this is that Jeeps, even Cherokees, have rabid fans. There might be somebody who really wants to buy it and fix it up. There's a real cult out there.

17. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

For 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s sure, for a run of the mill 2000 with the little nagging issues you describe, not so much. That was right at the beginning of the Daimler-Chrysler era...

18. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Any neighborhood kids or friend's kids who don't seem like complete delinquents? Why not sell it to them for a good price? It's probably older than the kid.

19. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I've read that Carmax has certain stipulations on cars they will take in on trade. I would call first to see if they would even take your Jeep in on trade as it might be too old and too many miles. If they do take it in on trade, please let us know.

20. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

That $500 is going to make or break the deal? Maybe you shouldn't be new car shopping at this time.

JBid and Boris Bubbanov like this.