car troubleshooting... need some help

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GibsonMarshallguy41, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Did that car run out of gas recently?

2. rezidentura

rezidentura Member

I’m a fix it when it needs it guy. I agree with the above this seems like loose/wet serpentine belt. Yes clogged fuel filter and/or cat converter can make you lose power but I think this is a gradual process. If the belt is slipping it affects your alternator water pump power steering. Curious as to what your mechanic says

AustinIsPresent and FbIsNotE like this.
  3. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

First thing, change the fuel filter, then, if that doesn't help, check fuel pump, then, look at some of the other things mentioned earlier.

grill likes this.
  4. Pitar

Pitar Member

5. RickV

RickV Member

Check out the TPS (throttle position sensor). Had one go out on a Hyundai Vera Cruz. A lot of the same symptoms. It would run, but like crap. If the TPS goes bad, it can send erroneous info to the computer, messing up things like the fuel injection. Seems like it was fairly inexpensive (<$100).

6. jvin248

jvin248 Member

You can buy a OBD-II code reader on Amazon for under $20. Do that, hook it up, see if the car thinks there were any problems. Sure you can go to Autozone/etc to read the codes but a little box you keep in the car glovebox is handy. You read the code, then look up the Internet solutions with your phone. Check off the list. Watch a youtube video how to disassemble and replace. Get some parts at Napa/Autozone/etc. Fixed.

7. GibsonMarshallguy41

GibsonMarshallguy41 Member

8. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

No tears Bud!!! It's a recall so shouldn't cost you.

Your symptoms definitely fall under that, it's just curious it happened after a downpour.

9. GibsonMarshallguy41

it just sucks when you're waiting all day for your mechanic to get back to you. he's had the car since 7:30am this morning (Eastern time)... as of 3pm, still no call... he's really making me sweat it out. I'm sure he'll call me in an hour or so and tell me that there's nothing wrong.

10. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

Have you checked the oil lately? Some engines have an oil sensor and will cutoff fuel if the oil pressure gets too low.

11. Jerry G

Jerry G Member

Sounds like a fuel issue, did you check to make sure your gas cap is venting?

12. GibsonMarshallguy41

... 4:00 pm ... mechanic has had vehicle for the past 8 and a half hours...

Mechanic: "nah, I didn't get a chance to check it out yet. I'm just about to..."

:jo:waiting

Peteyvee likes this.
  13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I've got a Bosch code reader, and I swear by it. It works on 5 of my 7 rides, pretty well (haven't tried it yet on the s-2000, no need, and the other is a 1995 and that's pre OBD II).

But this guy is not getting a CEL. So he won't get any codes, I don't think.

Maybe that's why fuel is a good place to look. That's an area not well monitored by OBD II, until the fuel gets to the rail. I just hate having to fool with fuel - getting sensitive to it.

14. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Are you sure you didn't take it to my mechanic by mistake? That's what he always says when I call him in the afternoon because he hasn't called me.

15. Woodenfish

Woodenfish Member

How old is the battery?

16. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

How old is the mechanic?

17. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Supporting Member

I just did the fuel pump on my 90 Chevy Silverado but am too lazy to drop tank or lift bed so I cut a hole in bed. I reattached plate later and bed has a shell and mat in it anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

If his oil pressure is low, some kind of warning should appear on the dash.

However, this is a Kia Sorrento. It will be the last vehicle to pick up a gizmo like you describe. Kia never leads the pack; they just wait and see what works for Honda and Audi, Lexus and Mercedes and adopt it once the pieces parts are available cheap.

Consumer Reports and J D Power are so dumb. They never assign any value to company's making efforts to make new systems and integrate them into new designs. They give higher values to makers still doing things the way they were done 10 years ago, as those are fleshed out and tend to fail less. But if everyone did this, we'd have mechanical brakes; shoes, not rotors and discs. When they do have something that's state of the art, it came from a contractor - outside contractor.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  19. joethepainter

joethepainter It's Life, but not as we know it

Nice job, and great tip!:)

20. RedneckDerek

RedneckDerek Member

Well, I just bought a '17 Sorento and I dig it.