Carbon Copy delay vs Supa Puss or…?

ngteleblues

Silver Supporting Member
Help me decide…. I need Tap tempo and and adjustable modulation. I don’t want dark unless it is an adjustable option.
I just acquired an MXR Echoplex and hear more modulation than I hear repeats. Over the course of 40 years or so. I’ve owned a tube Guild Copicat, an late 90’s Deluxe memory man. Although I no longer own those pedals the sound is still in my head and are a reference point. The new analog delays seem to exaggerate the effects of modulation and or tape age. I probably should have kept my El Capistan. The delay pedal I keep going back to is an EH Memory boy it seems to boost the volume and enhance my tone, I just wish it had the tap tempo option. I’m hoping for smallish which kind of rules out a new memory man. I’m aware of the Nano memory man but I’ve heard that it’s noisy.

Moderato

it seems a difficult situation and regarding title options I had both and in my rig, LPC into plexi, I preferred the Supa as its brighter and more cutting and for me thats a plus as I use amp distortion and run everything upfront, that said the CC has an internal trimpot to regulate modulation (and the deluxe version has more and everything on top including a bright version switch) and to me it will sound better on a cleaner setup (but its a dark delay btw), its a thick sounding delay. Both the Supa and the CC Dlx have imho among the best sounding modulation of current analog pedals offerings.

Maybe you could consider a EHX Deluxe Memory Boy or DMMTT (less dark than a Memory Boy)

Hope you will sort it out, I know "delay pain"...

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
Take a look at the Alexander History Lesson.
It lets you adjust quite a bit but only has a few presets.

On each preset, you can ramp between two versions of settings

IRG

I’ve owned a lot of delays, analog and digital. Currently running a SA Collider, but for dedicated analog goodness I have the MXR CC Deluxe. Had the Rubberneck before it, good but not reliable, The CCD to me, is a great sounding analog delay, and it gives you the option of standard or the Bright version, defeatable modulation, long delay time, and tap tempo that you’re after. I’ve had mine a while and I still love it. Only quirks is that the mix knob needs to be up pretty high, and same with repeats. Anything at noon or below is practically nonexistent. But once you find your setting, you forget all about that. Highly recommended.

I currently use only the Supa-Puss and Carbon Copy Deluxe on my board, so I feel unusually qualified to answer your question. haha

First off, are you aware the Echoplex delay pedal can adjust the tape age by clicking down the top knob? It sounds like you have it set high if you’re hearing ”more modulation than delay”.

The Supa-Puss is incredible for achieving tape-like tones. Not only adjusting the modulation, but tweaking the Gain and Tone knobs will let you decide how new or old, clean or gritty, you want those repeats to be.

The Carbon Copy Deluxe has excellent control over the modulation, but no control over delay gain (clean or gritty) and only a single switch to toggle between dark (normal mode) and bright. That being said, I absolutely LOVE both Normal and Bright modes and feel they are perfectly dialed in.

Between the two, the CCD on bright mode has a beautiful attack to the echoes that helps them really punch through and stand out when you have the mix set higher. It’s a very tape-y sound, to my ears, and is not something I usually hear from analog delays. The Supa-Puss, even with the Tone knob high, doesn’t have the same attack. So the repeats overall will stand out, but the attack of each repeat won’t be as noticeable. This is more how I expect analog delays to sound in their attack.

Overall, I’d say the Supa-Puss will get you closer to your ideal tape sound due to the addition of the Gain and Tone knobs. But the CCD is absolutely a fantastic delay for both analog-style and tape-style tones with that perfectly-tuned Bright switch.

ngteleblues

Silver Supporting Member
I currently use only the Supa-Puss and Carbon Copy Deluxe on my board, so I feel unusually qualified to answer your question. haha

First off, are you aware the Echoplex delay pedal can adjust the tape age by clicking down the top knob? It sounds like you have it set high if you’re hearing ”more modulation than delay”.

The Supa-Puss is incredible for achieving tape-like tones. Not only adjusting the modulation, but tweaking the Gain and Tone knobs will let you decide how new or old, clean or gritty, you want those repeats to be.

The Carbon Copy Deluxe has excellent control over the modulation, but no control over delay gain (clean or gritty) and only a single switch to toggle between dark (normal mode) and bright. That being said, I absolutely LOVE both Normal and Bright modes and feel they are perfectly dialed in.

Between the two, the CCD on bright mode has a beautiful attack to the echoes that helps them really punch through and stand out when you have the mix set higher. It’s a very tape-y sound, to my ears, and is not something I usually hear from analog delays. The Supa-Puss, even with the Tone knob high, doesn’t have the same attack. So the repeats overall will stand out, but the attack of each repeat won’t be as noticeable. This is more how I expect analog delays to sound in their attack.

Overall, I’d say the Supa-Puss will get you closer to your ideal tape sound due to the addition of the Gain and Tone knobs. But the CCD is absolutely a fantastic delay for both analog-style and tape-style tones with that perfectly-tuned Bright switch.
I can find no way to significantly reduce the modulation. I don’t use the push button feature at all.

ngteleblues

Silver Supporting Member
It would seem that that the “artifacts” of tape delay are much exaggerated on all the tc delay models and anything that doesn’t have a way to adjust modulation. Until I can buy something else I’ll just use the echoplex as a chorus effect and my flashback mini or memory boy as my main delay.
My old copicat tape unit was never as modulated as todays designers would have you believe.

mm1986

after a lot years i found the Timeline perfect for me: preset A with analog emulation and preset B with tape simulation. I find all the parameters really helpful to cut the mix.
I had all the mentioned delay above, CC deluxe, dod rubberneck, supa puss and a lot more.....Maybe the real analog delay has something special but i find the timeline perfect to be positioned in any kind of situation.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom