Carbon Copy - OR - Boss DD-7??

Stratm69

It's only $30 more for a Boss DD-7 and you get a buttload of more features including much longer delay times... You also get Analog and Modulate modes with the DD-7 too.

Is there anything that can justify getting the Carbon Copy instead? That super bright blue LED sure does look appealing...

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The analog and modulate modes on huge DD7 are adequate but not nearly as satisfying as the CC.
A carbon copy + DD5 is a great pair.

EricPeterson

I have never had a use for a delay longer than 600ms, your use may be different though. For me the CC does what I want out of a delay, and I dont need or want anything more. If you need tap tempo, long delay times, crisp repeats, reverse mode, etc. then go with the DD7, if you want dark ambient repeats that add a more refined reverbish sound to your tone, then I think the CC is perfect.

JinX78

I had the CC and loved it, but i wanted the option of brighter repeats too without having to buy a second delay. I got a used wampler faux tape echo, and with its tone knob I was able to dial in the same dark repeats, or brighten it up. Much more versatile. No experience with the DD7...

I guess it depends what kind of delay sound you want!

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
The analog and modulate modes on huge DD7 are adequate but not nearly as satisfying as the CC.
A carbon copy + DD5 is a great pair.
Boss DD-5

doesnt change your tone
pristine repeat
tap tempo input
I pair the DD5 with the Carbon Copy to great effect. I didn't love the analog mode and downright disliked the mod on the DD7, and the DD5 has a bit of extra treble that I actually like on digital delay vs the DD7 which is a little more neutral.

If you think you'll do rhythmic or U2 type stuff, you should get the DD7 (or better yet- a used DD20 for a similar price to the DD7 is new). But I actually really like the subtle mod and dark decay on the Carbon Copy. It holds up well to much more expensive options as opposed to the DD7 which is a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none delay.

I'd vote Carbon Copy, purely because if you add more delays later you can still use the CC for analog oscillations and modulations or slapback analog settings, while adding a more full function delay with tap subdivision and delay eq controls/bpm/programmable modulation, etc.

Rockerduck

Beside seeing more Boss delays on pro boards. I prefer the Boss delays. I've a/b'ed the DD-7 beside the Carbon Copy while playing leads and the Boss rules. If your in your bedroom it might not matter. The Boss gets a sound the Carbon Cannot achieve.

THiwaTT

The carbon Copy is super fat, and dark sounding - personally I liked it much more than any of the Boss DD series

mcnabbanov

i love the carbon copy. but if had to pick one it would be the dd-7. best all around compact delay out there imo. i've got one of each ;)

CRWolf

Gold Supporting Member
I wasn't a big fan of the CC even though I like dark delays. Too percussive/thumpy. It is a good delay though and I understand why people like it. HOWEVER, that LED was by far the worst part. It was so blinding in a dim room that I couldn't see the settings on the pedals immediately next to it. It helped when I colored it with a black sharpie. Only the Pork Loin was worse.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Belmont

I own a bunch of vintage analog delays. DMM's, DM-2, DM-3 Guyatone etc., used to own a Roland Space echo and Korg Stage Echo (both tape).
I tried the Carbon Copy and was completely unimpressed (for whtever that's worth=nothing).
I bought a DD-7 and consider it to be easily one of the best delay pedals ever made.

soulloud

Has anyone else had an issue with the dd7 changing your sound while it is off? I'm considering one now.

Kluch

I vote dd-7 as well, super versatile. I love my boss delays, owned a dd-20 for nearly as long as I've been able to play electric and it's never failed me yet with all it's great sounding delays

misc1600

I had both. Sold the DD-7 and still have the CC. The DD-7 definitely has more options, plus I loved it in stereo. However, I really only used it the analog mod and didn't like the modulation setting.

kurtismj

This thread probably isn't helping, is it? Half say CC, half say DD7.

They're two very different delays that do different things. Both are great. I have a Timefactor, and the CC is the perfect 2nd delay to me. So simple, and fulfills a much different role that the Timefactor, or even a DD7 would for that matter. I don't know exactly what type of music you play, but you may find that eventually having both would be awesome.

gianluigi

The DD-7 does not change your sound when off. Something else is wrong if it does.
the dd7 change your sound when it's off and there's nothing wrong with anything else .
I tried several times
probably you can 't hear the difference if you have a processed sound but if you use few pedals you'll hear it.

Trending Topics