• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Carbon Copy or DMM?

Unadan

I am completely new to delay pedals and ended up purchasing a CC V2 here in Portland new for $129.00. Since purchasing this unit (which sounds good thru my marshall tube 50W combo w/Full Drive 2) I'm wondering about the DMM. I have played thru the DMM a few times since purchasing the CC and now am having second thoughts about my purchase. Is it the general consensus around here that the DMM is the king of delay pedals?

I could return the CC and get the DMM but am wondering if this makes sense. I'm also going to be building a pedal board and already have the dunlop brick and not sure how well the DMM would fit into this system. I can afford the DMM so the question is this: spring for the DMM or stick with the CC?

roknfnrol

Gold Supporting Member
You gotta go with the DMM if you think it sounds better. It's the long reigning king of delay.

I've always loved the DMM...still regret selling mine....tried the CC, thinking it would be an easy replacement...

It's not.

Moral....if you like the DMM, get it. Nothing can replace that pedal.

Eric

bulbasaur_85

The DC brick will not power the DMM since it only has 9 and 18 volt outputs. A BBE supacharger or Voodlabs PP2 with a special voltage doubler cable (uses two outputs set to 12 volts) will power the DMM. I use the BBE unit and a DMM with great results. Hope that helps! And...get the DMM before they are gone. They are running out of that bucket brigade chip.

aziltz

i think the carbon copy makes alot o ergo/economic sense (and it sounds killer in my opinion, easier to use than a DMM). I just can't justify that big box!

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
two totally different types of approaches - if you like the CC, keep it and get the DMM too. they'll both bring something different and useful to the table. the only reason i don't have the DMM right now is because my table isn't big enough for it!

ben_allison

Here's my review (from this thread).

Finally got to compare these two. Interesting experience.

I was surprised at how well the CC fared against the DMM, truly. Here are my obvservations:

- The CC has several very practical advantages over the DMM: less noise, 1/4 the size, longer delay time, no "overloading" issues

- I found the CC to be very transparent. My straight tone was, by all reckoning, entirely preserved. The DMM definitely makes it's mark on your tone. Pro or con, depending on your needs (these are tools; I don't mind being held hostage by a pedal if the net effect is musical).

- The modulation on the DMM is, of course, hard to beat; but on a CC v2, you can get quite a bit of rather lovely and lush modulation; it's not the same as the DMM, but it's great in its own right (no "crazy" sounds, but for me, that's irrelevant; wacky vibrato craziness annoys me). The difference in modulation between the DMM and CC, I liken to the difference between a CE-1 and a CE-2, respectively.

- The CC's repeats seemed to be more more pristine/clear – more "present" and defined; the DMM's repeats "swirled around" the direct tone, having more warmth. If I could use an analogy, the CC's repeats are like vinyl, and the DMM's are like a super vibey cassette tape... there's just this movement to the DMM's repeats that are quite lovely.

- While I found the CC's repeats to be more clear and distinct, they also seemed to fade away. The DMM's repeats seemed to be move enveloping. I think this is a combination of two factors: one being the DMM mucks with your straight tone, making everything into a more cohesive whole, and two, the "taper" of the feedback volume (the CC's repeats getting quieter at a quicker rate than the DMM's).

All in all, I'd actually go with the Carbon Copy... I was pretty surprised actually. It's a beautiful sounding delay with very musical qualities. Practical issues considered, it's a no brainer. I understand that having a DMM is essential for some people because THAT'S the tone they're after, but both have their place.

Considering you can (with reasonable ease) mod an effects loop into the Carbon Copy, possible modulation options are endless.

I previously had and sold a CC, and I might just get another. If only it had tap tempo! I'm hoping the new Malekko or Seymour Duncan pedals will have at least the musical qualities of the CC; if so, they'll be winners.

Last edited:

Unadan

Can you explain what you mean about different approaches? It seems that the two pedals are mining the same analog territory. I understand the CC can accomplish longer delay times but other than that what are the major differences in approach? Sounds like keeping the CC might be a good idea and get the DMM later.

Unadan

The other question I have is this. I have heard the DMM may be phased out at some point due to running out of supply of their bucket brigade chips? Is there any truth to this or is this a marketing ploy to drive up sales?

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
ben's post pretty much sums it up. the CC is like a straight ahead bucket brigade analog delay trying to vibe a bit of tape reproduction. the DMM can do that too (in a different way, as ben as described) but it can also freak OUT on you in a way that isn't married to The Edge - it can lose structure and just generate some wicked sonics that can either serve as a background wonkout, or as a lead sheet of mess. But the footprint is like an echoplex - it takes up space. So if you're a dotted eighth kind of player, don't worry about the DMM. but if you like to get a bit lightheaded once in a while, try the DMM and experiment with it for days/weeks.

The DMM chips are indeed running out. Once they are gone, EH will stop production of the current run as it is currently configured, and move on to the DMM XO, which is already in Europe.

markom89

Based on personal experience with both, I'd go for the DMM by a long shot. I've said it before and I'll say it again... the Carbon Copy did nothing at all for me. Hated the sound. My buddy then lent me his '79 DMM and there were the best delays I'd ever heard. Easy choice.

Kev O)))

Sounds like you already like the way the CC sounds with 'your' amp so I would suggest keep that and saving the money for something else that you might want and/or need later on.

JUSTJOB

I too recommend the DMM. IMHO it is the best sounding delay ever made. Although, you could hang onto the CC and keep it as a backup, or simply a delay to throw in the gig bag when you don't want to carry something large.
On my main pedalboard I have the DMM and also a DigiDelay and use them both regularly, and each one has it's merits.

m@2

both are great delays, I had both and kept the DMM. I also have a DML (memory lane v1) which, for pure delay, and great oscillation, is fantastic, but I stil use my DMM the most

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
That youtube demo above confirms MY observations when owning both... the CC is DARKER/LESS CLEAR than the DMM. Which is the opposite of the well-written review above. I found the DMM to be clearer.

ben_allison

That youtube demo above confirms MY observations when owning both... the CC is DARKER/LESS CLEAR than the DMM. Which is the opposite of the well-written review above. I found the DMM to be clearer.
Not all DMM's are the same, but my experience of the two was that the CC's repeats were very clear, and the DMM's more organic/ambient, and not in a slight way; it was very, very obvious.

Could have been the rig. Maybe there are other issues (pickups, impedance, etc) that contributed to my observations.

cedjazz

I am completely new to delay pedals and ended up purchasing a CC V2 here in Portland new for $129.00. Since purchasing this unit (which sounds good thru my marshall tube 50W combo w/Full Drive 2) I'm wondering about the DMM. I have played thru the DMM a few times since purchasing the CC and now am having second thoughts about my purchase. Is it the general consensus around here that the DMM is the king of delay pedals?

I could return the CC and get the DMM but am wondering if this makes sense. I'm also going to be building a pedal board and already have the dunlop brick and not sure how well the DMM would fit into this system. I can afford the DMM so the question is this: spring for the DMM or stick with the CC?
What's the difference between the V1 and V2?

Trending Topics