carbon copy vs dd3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rich2k4, Sep 6, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

if i just want some ambiance in my leads (ala david gilmour) and i'm not going to be doing any crazy over the top space alien delay effects, which pedal would be best for me?

2. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

My vote's for the Carbon Copy. Awesome warmth, although a bit dark sounding. I think if ambiance is what you're after, that will do nicely!

There is also the added bonus of some modulation, too.

I have not played a DD3 in a number of years, to be honest. But I had a Carbon Copy for a few weeks, which I eventually sold.... ONLY because I wanted a more versatile delay pedal that could give me 2 types of delay simultaneously. Otherwise, I would have kept it.

3. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I would go for the DD-3 it sounds great as is or you could have Analogman do the high cut mod and get the analog feel to it!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  4. rich2k4

here is an example of thetype of lead delay i want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8o-9Zf5nmk

i know he's using a digital delay here, but i was wondering if the carbon copy would be better at doing something like this.

5. rich2k4

6. speedyone

Did you ask this another thread? Just curious, as I remember seeing that vid in another post.

In my opinion, the Carbon Copy wouldn't be the best choice to get a tone like Brent's. Of course, as guitarists we can spend a lot of time tweaking pedals to get very CLOSE to a tone we want, but I don't think the Carbon Copy naturally gets a tone like that.

That delay tone sounds distinctly digital to me; it has a lot of clarity and brightness which the Carbon Copy does is not naturally inclined to have.

I would suggest a good digital delay. I am not sure if you are "locked in" to only a few time settings with the DD3...I recall the time knob having 4 different settings.

I would HIGHLY suggest the Yamaha Magicstomp if you want an awesome delay for a cheap price. I just got one and I love it! Of course, the drawback is that you need to "jump through some hoops" so to speak in order to tweak the delay to your tastes. (ie, downloading some free software upgrades into the pedal.)

So in my opinion, a good digital delay will get you there, such as the DD3, Magicstomp, or even the Line6 DL4. These are the relatively cheap options, of course. One can go nuts spending money on fantastic delays. :)

7. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

the dd3 is slightly more controllable... but it doesn't compare in tone warmth or general bad-ass-ity.

get the cc.

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I would start by finding a 'big chip' dd3 and checking that out. If it's too 'cold', move on to a high-cut mod. . . which will make one very versatile pedal. . . .or go with a dd7 which may be the best of all worlds in a small delay

9. rich2k4

i dont want it exactly like brents, i jsut like having wet lead tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QPez9uXPLk

in this video, he plays some lead at the end, and it sounds good to me. very eric johnson, which i like.

10. speedyone

I just read that Brent uses a DL4...

Hmmm.... a good choice?

I will agree that the Carbon copy does have a lot of warmth, and yes, does hav bad-ass-ity as well.

:)

11. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

It is a DL-4. He has used one for quite a while now. Used to be off to the side of his board but now sits right in the middle of it.

12. beanbag

beanbag Member

I am a newbie and thought I would chime in on this one!
    I really like the CC because it is so laid-back. I use it on my small gig board and leave it on practically all the time.
    I have a DD3 with the hi-cut mod and the CC is what bumped it off the board.
    The CC is so laid-back it almost ducks the notes which I think is a good thing.

13. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I actually prefer the DD-3.

14. speedyone

There are definitely different flavors of delay; I loved the Carbon Copy for clean playing...made the chords so warm and angelic! But I really disliked it for high gain things. It was just too muddy for my tastes for leads.

Digital delays can be "sterile" or artificial sounding, but I prefer them for my lead playing.

There are bright delays, dark delays, sharp delays, pristine delays, you name it. I'm sure you guys already know this, though.

There are lots of fantastic delays out there. It doesn't matter if they cost $50 or $3000, they all have their uses, and some work better for different sounds depending on what you're going for.

If you want a "does it all delay" then I wouldn't go for the Carbon Copy; it does only a couple things, but VERY well. If I wanted 3 or 4 delay pedals for each individual need, I would buy a CC for sure.

If you can try before you buy, go for the CC. If your store doesn't have one, maybe try out the DD3, DD7, DL4. Because they are definitely more versatile than the CC.

15. hide

hide Member

Have you owned any digital delays before? If not, then u might wanna try the dd3 over the CC as it can be easily available cheap,used. Its really a matter of personal taste, i can never stand those clean pristine repeats on the dd3 for my leads and the buffered bypass on Boss.

16. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I tend to use my CC for ambiance, too, and it works fine in that capacity. Ultimately, for live use, I was more interested in a true bypass pedal (that I could afford) than versatility. I'm totally happy with the CC. I'll probably be using my Yamaha E1005 when I record. -E

17. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

without a doubt, a carbon copy. Gilmour used an analog delay, and the carbon copy is an analog delay.

18. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

the now discontinued Boss RV-3 is also a cool pedal since you get some combined reverb/delay settings which are really useful if you have a dry amp with no reverb.

I have the new DD-7, but am still seeing how it works with my little rig.

19. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

david uses plenty of digital delay as well. always has.

20. bluejedi

bluejedi Member

I have a Line 6 echo park and a lot of people told me that this one was very good and better than the DD-3 wich doesn`t have a tap tempo... but I didn`t care for the echo park to many sounds and it doesn`t mix really well on my amp FX loop. I was going to buy the DD-3 but I tried the Carbon copy and really liked..... it`s warm and very natural sounding, I think at the end that both (DD-3 and Carbon Copy) are good delays but the main difference it`s that the CC it`s analog it`s a matter of taste.... the CC it`s really working for me and my music style and easy to use and adjust plus it really looks cool on my pedalboard.

For leads the CC works fine I noticed that the CC reacts very well to the intesity of the pick attack giving a nice sound very warm, yeap it remains me of the sound of great players. I really like the CC,

BTW It`s just me or what? but I have the Boss CH-1 I don`t use it because I preffer to hear the CC.