Carbon Copy vs. Echo Box

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheFlash, Aug 13, 2008.

1. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I have a boss dd-7 for a good tap tempo delay and looper and I'm thinking of getting a second delay to run in front of it for really great modulated ambient delays and oscillation. I want something I can power with my one spot and won't take up loads of pedal board space.

I've heard great things about both the mxr carbon copy and the subdecay echo box and was wondering if any of you delay guys have compared them side by side?

Echo box wins for delay time (800 > 600 ms)
    Echo box wins for modulation controls on the outside
    Echo box can be set for trailing repeats
    Carbon Copy is cheaper
    Most importantly...how do they sound?

2. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

3. b_rad

b_rad Member

Both of them sound great to me. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

4. Andre357

Andre357 Member

go to proguitarshop.com or youtube and watch the demos of both.

very different delays. both sound great. The Carbon Copy ( which I own , among many other delays including the dd7 ) sounds great...BUT, and it's a big but, the modulation is subtle even at extreme settings even with the new R7 mod ( they all ship with it now ).

By the way, the dd7 in analog mode and the Carbon copy sound very much alike IMHO....

The subdecay echobox seems to get very thick and lush modulated delays when dialed in....sounds like a great delay actually from the demos ( i've heard others on this board say it reminds them of the EH DMM )....

My opinion if your looking for modulated delays go with the subdecay....would be a great match with the dd7 i bet !

The skreddy echo sounds great as well for Mod delays - but that takes a while to get it seems.....

5. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I have the carbon copy and it sounds great to me and is a bit little cheaper. The delay is really warm to me...can't really find a use for the MOD switch though. Sounds much better than the DD6 I have and is true bypass which is always a plus. Can't say much for the echo box though...sounds pretty great on some of the demos I have seen.

6. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

This is what I was wondering about the most...I think I'm definitely leaning toward the echo box because of this.

Does the carbon copy have the ability to trail repeats after the pedal has been turned off?

7. Andre357

Andre357 Member

No, it's true bypass. The echo box can be true bypass as well or you can flip the mini switch and it has an internal buffer that allows the trails.... so more versatile for sure...

The subdecay is on my must buy list to grab at some point ( or the skreddy echo which sounds great in clips/videos as well )....it's sounds really nice in the demos I've heard....price isn't too bad relative to everything else out there right now either....

8. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I haven't played the subdecay echobox, but I have heard clips from the Skreddy, and the DMM, etc. I do own the Carbon Copy (I did the r7 mod myself) and I really like it. I actually like that the mod is subtle. I get a lot of the same vibe from it that I do from my echoplex, and the reason is because of the subtleness of the mod.

The echoplex doesn't chorus evenly, it wows and flutters. Several echos can be perfect, then one will warble out of pitch, and so forth. One echo will be subtly out of pitch, another pretty drastically. It is a random chorus (vibrato), not the constant speed/depth sine wave of the DMM style chorused echo outputs. The CC uses a constant speed/depth also but because it is subtle, you only really hear it on certain notes when the depth happens to max out right on top of a note/echo. The rest of the time the chorus can be very subtle to unnoticeable. The net result is something like the echoplex where you get a sporatic atmospheric warbling of echos. Really cool.

That isn't to say that more dramatic chorusing of echos, like the DMM and others can do, wouldn't be cool, and the Carbon Copy just won't get that sound. But I don't care for chorusing in general, so I wouldn't use it. For that reason the carbon copy, which is smaller, analog, true-bypass, and nearly $100 cheaper than anything with more mod really works out perfect for me. Mr Tripps knew what he was doing if you ask me.

9. charmboy

charmboy Member

Big +1. I love the CC, even after playing with my new TTE (which of course is amazing!).

10. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

The CC doesn't trail repeats, I'm not aware of any analog delay that can, but I'd love to hear about it if that feature is available somewhere.

I do like my Carbon Copy.

11. ProGuitarShop

ProGuitarShop Member

We have added a comparison pedalboard to the Video Library on our website for questions exactly like the one that is being asked in this thread. You can select videos of both of these pedals and compare them side by side. The videos are now hosted in CD Audio quality on our website.

Here is a video that explains the comparison function and audio improvements.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcc-RrpaOgc

Hopefully you will find this useful in answering your question.

12. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

Very cool new features at your site!

I'm going to give the echo box a shot...thanks for the replies everyone.

13. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Malekko E600 trails off the repeats when bypassed. But it is much more expensive pedal than the CC.

14. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Nicely done!

15. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

Thanks, I have researched that one a little but hadn't noticed that it offers trailing repeats on the buffered output. Cool.